Educate me on tubes!

yeah to each his own. used to not be a fan of the rectos, but the idea of being able to run just about any tube I want, have sag control and variable channel voicings i think that i would be able to fine tune my tone better.

all the stuff i really cant be arsed with, hence why i dont like roadkings!!! too many options for one amp!!!:D

i struggle enough with one channel half the time and tweaking the fuck outta that!!:loco:

all the stuff i really cant be arsed with, hence why i dont like roadkings!!! too many options for one amp!!!:D

i struggle enough with one channel half the time and tweaking the fuck outta that!!:loco:

well i can understand that, but i am more of a tweak head. I have tweaked my 5150 to the max and I have the best tone I am going to get out of it however its not fine tuned enough for the sound that I want, in that case it would be time to open up to more bells and whistles.

bump, nitro, get back in here with your EL34 knowledge.

I was looking over the 3 channel recto. Going over all the features its pretty obvious how limited the 5150 truly is, with the recto having silicon and tube rectifier and power settings (bold and spnongy) as well as the different voicing that change the eq curve of the presence control, along with the ability to run just about every type of power tube on the face of the earth. Maybe gassing for a recto soon, would love to mix EL34's and KT88's, but still have to run through my variables with the fiddy

EDIT: i was playing last night and realized that the huge problem in the amp is that the mids sounds way to round and way to harsh. Could be the old power tubes, however, I think it really has more to do with the resonant frequency of the cab being too high and in the wooly range, it needs to be deeper and lower to give more chug.

Ask away dude!

my only real question is whether a 5150s PT can handle the heater current of an EL34, but my only concern tone wise is how much more crunch a 34 has compared to a 6l6. I hear they are darker and more focused in the mids. Read up on the TS EL34b which says they are very similar to a 6l6 but have the EL34 bite, can you confirm this?

FWIW, when I did a shootout comparing EL34's vs. 6L6's in my Dual Rec, damn near no one could tell the difference. However, as Nitro has pointed out on the boogie board, those were at semi-loud volumes but still far from really pushing the power tubes, so once they get driven a bit harder the differences probably become more clear! That said, an amp will always sound like an amp; my feeling on changing tubes is they're just subtle differences in flavor/color! (assuming you're going from one well-made tube type to another; going from crap to awesome will be more noticeable of course)

FWIW, when I did a shootout comparing EL34's vs. 6L6's in my Dual Rec, damn near no one could tell the difference. However, as Nitro has pointed out on the boogie board, those were at semi-loud volumes but still far from really pushing the power tubes, so once they get driven a bit harder the differences probably become more clear! That said, an amp will always sound like an amp; my feeling on changing tubes is they're just subtle differences in flavor/color! (assuming you're going from one well-made tube type to another; going from crap to awesome will be more noticeable of course)

Yeah, that's really the bottom line. The volume we did the Roadster/Recto shootout at wasn't even close to being very loud. I've found with the Recto's (or just about any amp) you really need to crank it up to around '4' to really start cooking the tubes....and ideally between 5-6. It's crazy loud but sounds God-like :headbang: At those volumes, the differences are night and day

Read up on the TS EL34b which says they are very similar to a 6l6 but have the EL34 bite, can you confirm this?
Today 01:51 AM

I have Tung-Sol EL34b's in my Roadster and swear by them. They have all of the low end and and muscle of 6L6's but the midrange and crunch of EL34's. As far as sticking them in a 5150, I'm friends with a few bands that run EL34's in their 5150's....so I'd assume it'd be ok. Don't quote me on that though.

i noticed in that test (with laptop speakers at that) that the EL34's had more in your bass bite and a bit more crunch. But even the 6L6's that still has one hell of a more bite and clarity than what I can get. Actually my tone is more noise and note the pitch that is being played. Would really like to have that kind of grind. That's a dual rec (2 or 3 chan??) with a recto cab right?

Haha, thanks man, and yeah, I really liked mine, though I ended up selling it cuz I just couldn't get rid of the 6k fizz - I was planning on getting a Roadster to replace it, as they're voiced slightly darker and I suspect aren't as prone to said fizz, though other expenses crept in, so that dream has been put on hold :( (but it WILL happen eventually :D)