Effects while recording guitar

Samarkol

Professor McKnowledge
Jan 12, 2002
Québec !
Visit site
Hey there.

I'm currently recording some guitar parts with my band. Since my new amp doesn't have any built-in reverb or any effects, I'm wondering if I should just record the dry sound and add effects afterward on the computer or if I should get some kind of pedals with reverb/flanger/delay/stuff.

Any advice ?

Samarkol
The Amp is a VHT Deliverance 120.

Your choice ofcourse.
People always seem to recommend hardware,
but vst-plugins for instance, can be just as good.

You could try Audacity with LADSPA-plugins first,
as it is free and quick to set up,
and then see if it's suits your needs or not.

Yeah, Audacity is really good for that kind of stuff. I dunno if its good for Metal, hasn't been for me. But its been good for Experimental.

Adobe Audition has a load of effects. It's delay effects are good, but it has horrible distortion haha

My preference is to record dry. If I don't like the effects with the overall mix, I can always get rid of the effect. If it's already on the track and interferes with the tonal quality of the other tracks, you're pretty well fucked! :)

It is truly a dmaned if you do and damned if you don't. I use very little effects on a dirty guitar, but on clean or acoustic guitar it needs to be colored some. The biggest effect I use on dirty guitar is reverb. The problem with putting it in afterward is that you will play your solos slightly different with the effect than without, so in one way it is better to record with. On the other hand, if you use the effects while recording, it is easy to put too much effects in, and once the rest of the instruments are in it sounds muddy. Experimenting is the way to go. I personally put my effects in from the start, but it is an individual choice.
One small bit of advice I do have though if you choose to put your effects in first is to get the sound you like, then decrease it (whatever effect that might be) by about 25% especially on dirty guitar work. On the clean stuff, reduce it by 50%. I love to hear that big chorus on clean or acoustic guitar while playing, but when it goes on a recording, it sounds way too processed.
This is just my personal experience and everyone is different, but I have recorded several times. The only real advice I can give is that less is more. If you NEED more effects it can be added later, but it cannot be removed.

Bryant

Thanks everyone for your advice. I was worried that I would need to buy some pedals and not have enough time to play enough with them, but I think I'll just record the whole thing dry and then work on effects afterward.

We have 2 guits, a bass, a keyboard and a clea/growling singer, so as you guys suggested, too much effects = muddy. And since we're recording newbies, we better add effects after the whole thing is recorded.

Later,

Alex