Elliot Smith

Nothing extraordinary, mediocre artist. There is much better folk or alternative singer-songwriters, like Jeff Buckley, Drake, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.

At least spell the guy's name right!

Anyway, excellent stuff. I agree that some of the material is too heavy on the Beatles worship. It could have been worse though, as a lot of the unreleased songs really sound like the Beatles. I'll have to pick up the recent 2cd release to see how those songs came out.

The early stuff has it's own unique sound though. The self-titled especially. Either/Or is unremarkable, but it's very listenable. XO has some heartbreaking stuff on it. The last two are hit and miss, with some great songs, and a few to pass on.

I haven't found other supposedly better singer-songwriters to be as good, probably because Smith's music really resonated with me at certain times in my life. Drake and Buckley didn't have as much meaning to me.

I love Elliott. He was such an amazing artist and I just wish he was still alive. His music is so expressive, it's like staring at his insides. Either/Or and XO are my personal favorites.