EMG Myth

soulshred said:
I am thinking to switch to EMG 81 s from dimarzios because i reaaly like their sound. But I ve been hearing stuff from players that they hide your mistakes and it is easier to solo with them... EMG players here; is that true? Because if it is I certainly wouldnt want a pickup like that because I think that would make me sloppier oer time. Dont get me wrong I am not saying Romeo was sloppy or anything but then I look at Hammet...

The EMG81 is a high quality pickup and has been around for over 20 years. The advantage it has compared to passive pickups is simple: Flat frequency response. I don't want to try to sound too technical here but, standard pickups have a certain frequency (or note in music terms) that they respond to the greatest. As you get higher or lower than that frequency, it responds less, therefore, the sound is lower so to speak. Setting tone etc. on your effects or amplifier does make up for this with passive pickups, but not to the extent an active pickup does, since it does it at the source.
I don't think an EMG81 has a great advantage over any other pickup period, and has little to none when playing alone or in the studio. In a live setting with a band, the flat response can keep your axe from being drowned out a little when going to higher stuff on the neck. You will still normally need a boost when soloing though.
Lastly, I hate feedback and higher quality pickups tend to give less feedback with the same volume than cheapos and the 81's are pretty good about not feeding back too bad.

Bryant

76Strat said:
if u switch to emgs get an 82 or an 85 they are better tghan the 81 in my opinion
82? There's an EMG-82?

Also, why do people discredit the 85 bridge pickup so much?

I threw EMGs onto my Aria Pro cheap-o guitar back in my sophomore year in high school (1986) along with a Kahler flat mount and everybody wanted my guitar. There were even some people wanting to trade high-end Jacksons and Fenders for that little guitar. It ripped ass on anything around at the time. I think it still does, 20 years later.

Fucking awesome pickups!

Flat frequency response is a good thing - it sends more frequencies to your rig and lets you dial in eq much better at the amp - i.e., you can use your electronics to mold your sound and get myriad more sounds with a graphic eq.