EMG ALX

nunofrg

Dec 23, 2009
hey!

im having this question in my head that is: does alexi really uses the emg alx? in the esp japanese guitar (which i think, the guitars on it are totally more realistic about what alexi actually uses than the american esp website) and some guitars have the emg f-h2 with the boost thing, others have the emg hz4. either way, non have the emg alx (what about the eq? and the alx pickup only is the same as a emg hz h2 i think). and every bodom video alexi do have the boost on his guitar (in a different switch), but uses the h4 (i think) all the time...
so yeah, what do you guys think?

and btw is the pickup good? is it worth buying? i havent heard nothing bad about it until now but i wanna know what u guys think

thanks!

Mmmh... the EMG ALX is a cheaper version of the MM-04 and a bundle of boost and pcikup. It wouldn't make any sense to change the MM-04 in Alexis guitars with his ALX when both are the same.

But you're right. I checked different music stores (thomann, b-music, musicstore, local stores) and all have either the mm-04 + hz -h2 or 4 or only the hz-h2,4 /blackout in it.

I think he's using the ALX pickup in his guitar. May be using the booster that comes with it too, but just leaves the mm-04 switch in so he doesnt have a hole there. I know there was something about this in the gear thread from a japanese mag where he was seen using a prototype of the alx on tour or something.

I'm waiting for ESP to announce any 2011 changes to Alexi's guitar specs, but I expect the ALX bundle to be included.

The EMG-ALX pickup is (steel and ceramic construction) like his old j-50bc, and has pole pieces. The H-4 uses bar magnets/pieces rails/whatever you call them. I had SD Blackout in my guitar but HATED the way it sounded, so I ripped it out and put in an H-4, sounds alot better to me with the mm-04, but I'm prolly gonna get the emg-alx and just use the pup with mm-04. then I'll have an h-4 and abq booster...

Anywho, from what I've seen on youtube, and heard for myself, its should be tons better than a blackout and worth trying.

hope this helps. i have both the emg alx and j-50bc je1000 imo if you have all the switchs on the alx it will sound pretty close to that wah'ish sound that the je-1000 gives you which is why i just use the emg alx. if your not willing to go hunting for the j-50bc/je-1000 then just get an alx i bet you wont regret it

The ALX pickup is an EMG HZ-FH2 and the ABQ is the mm-04. Again, it wouldn't make any sense for him to install his signature pickup when he's still got an FH-2 (or HZ-H4) + MM-04 booster in his guitars.

Edit: The ALX is an HZ-FH2 with a littlebit more sustain and distortion. Personally I can't hear any difference between the ALX ABQ and H2 MM-04 or HZ-H4 and HZ-H2 (without boost). There is a big difference in sound between the J-50BC and one of those HZ's though.

The ALX PU sounds good with the ABQ....it DOES NOT sound that great with the JE-1000.

I recently installed a JE-1000 clone and it sounded good but was lacking in the bass compared to the ALX w/ ABQ. I actually just switched my JE clone out and put the ABQ back in.

I will say that the JE-1000 does sound a hell of a lot better with the J-50BC.

So the active circuitry is about the same, but depending on which PU you use your tone can vary greatly.

Also, the JE does give it a little more of that wah sound than the ABQ.

This has all been pretty much disscussed in the past: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/children-bodom/571775-emg-abq-jackson-je-1000-a.html

The ALX pickup is an EMG HZ-FH2 and the ABQ is the mm-04. Again, it wouldn't make any sense for him to install his signature pickup when he's still got an FH-2 (or HZ-H4) + MM-04 booster in his guitars.

ok but emg hz h2 and the h4 have a lot of differences. i tried both and the h2 has much less output and is more versatil pickup and the h4 is the emg81 but passive. does alexi sometimes use the h4 and other times the h2? if he really has the emg alx, then he would only use the h2.

a friend of mine has an alexi edwards scythe and has an emg h4, and he is in doubt if he should buy an emg alx and only put the equalizer, boost thing and keep the h4 (as the esp scythe, has the h4 and boost and alexi never used in the videos a scythe with the h2), or really switch everything. he is trying to be the most accurate to alexis sound =S. what should he do in your opinion? maybe just buying the original japanese mm-04 boost on sale in bmusic should be the best to do right? but does that have the pre-amp eq. besides of the boost? if so, does it say which is the configuration in the pre amp that alexi uses?

he should get Alexi's sig pup and use Alexi's settings.... that's gonna be pretty close to his sound plus it's easier to get and cheaper I think...

^ only a pickup doesn't bring Alexis sound ...

^^ Alexis sound is nothing special nowadays. A good Marshall with a high-distortion pickup is all what you need. EMG 81, HZ-H4 + boost, ALX, S&D blackout...It's all pretty much the same sound. I had an HZ-H4 with EMG-PA-2, HZ-H4 with MM-04, Blackout with MM-04, Blackout without MM-04... no noticable difference. The biggest difference came with the setup I use nowadays...

yep but he was asking pups... yeah Marshall + 81 is what I've got... it gives you a good metal sound if you eq the amp well ...
My advice is don't waste time tryin to mimic his sound... just get a nice, simple metal sound you can enjoy (like the one Arcane posted) and then focus on your technique and songwriting....

@ Arcane: what's your current setup?

ok but emg hz h2 and the h4 have a lot of differences. i tried both and the h2 has much less output and is more versatil pickup and the h4 is the emg81 but passive. does alexi sometimes use the h4 and other times the h2? if he really has the emg alx, then he would only use the h2.

a friend of mine has an alexi edwards scythe and has an emg h4, and he is in doubt if he should buy an emg alx and only put the equalizer, boost thing and keep the h4 (as the esp scythe, has the h4 and boost and alexi never used in the videos a scythe with the h2), or really switch everything. he is trying to be the most accurate to alexis sound =S. what should he do in your opinion? maybe just buying the original japanese mm-04 boost on sale in bmusic should be the best to do right? but does that have the pre-amp eq. besides of the boost? if so, does it say which is the configuration in the pre amp that alexi uses?
FWIW...you can buy the ALX w/ ABQ cheaper than you can buy just the MM-04...which are essentially the same booster.

If your friend is trying to get a close Alexi sound, just tell him to get the ALX w/ ABQ. Or find a J-50BC and get a JE-1000 clone.

He can always sell the H2 if he gets the ALX PU. I mean the ALX PU w/ ABQ is only $99.00 US dollars. Thats fucking cheap! Most DiMarzio PU's alone cost about $80.00 US dollars.

But like Arcane said...just find a good metal tone. Doesn't have to be like Alexi's. I have his PU and all but I use the Freq switches different than his set up so it sounds different. I just like the fact that I have more options with my tone now, without changing PU's.

FWIW...you can buy the ALX w/ ABQ cheaper than you can buy just the MM-04...which are essentially the same booster.

If your friend is trying to get a close Alexi sound, just tell him to get the ALX w/ ABQ. Or find a J-50BC and get a JE-1000 clone.

He can always sell the H2 if he gets the ALX PU. I mean the ALX PU w/ ABQ is only $99.00 US dollars. Thats fucking cheap! Most DiMarzio PU's alone cost about $80.00 US dollars.

But like Arcane said...just find a good metal tone. Doesn't have to be like Alexi's. I have his PU and all but I use the Freq switches different than his set up so it sounds different. I just like the fact that I have more options with my tone now, without changing PU's.

well he does too. what about if he buys the emg alx and only put the booster eq thing and keep the h4 there? bcuz alexi in his esp scythe doesnt have the h2 in it. maybe thats the same that buying the mm-04 and more cheaper

well he does too. what about if he buys the emg alx and only put the booster eq thing and keep the h4 there? bcuz alexi in his esp scythe doesnt have the h2 in it. maybe thats the same that buying the mm-04 and more cheaper

If he only puts the booster in I'm sure it will sound fine. Only one way to find out.

But here is the great thing about EMG's and the quick connect. All the PU's have the same plugs. SO he could get the booster put in with his H4 and see what it sounds like. If he doesn't like it, all he has to do is unplug the PU from the PU wiring harness and plug in the ALX to see what that one sounds like. Very, very simple process to do even if you know knowthing about guitars.

http://www.emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/ALXSignature0230-0178a%20.pdf
If you click the link and go to page 3 and look at diagram #4 you can see the plug in I am talking about.

If he only puts the booster in I'm sure it will sound fine. Only one way to find out.

But here is the great thing about EMG's and the quick connect. All the PU's have the same plugs. SO he could get the booster put in with his H4 and see what it sounds like. If he doesn't like it, all he has to do is unplug the PU from the PU wiring harness and plug in the ALX to see what that one sounds like. Very, very simple process to do even if you know knowthing about guitars.

http://www.emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/ALXSignature0230-0178a%20.pdf
If you click the link and go to page 3 and look at diagram #4 you can see the plug in I am talking about.

awsome help! thanks. ;)

@ Arcane: what's your current setup?

The J-50BC + Je-1000 and I'm using Revalver now which is pretty awesome when you spent a few hours in how to use it. I now 3 main guitar sounds out of it. One which is nearly exact the same as the guitar sound from Suicide By My Side, one which sounds like old In Flames and one which is a mix of BD and Trashed. I'm not using my Korg anymore. I will also change my J-50BC with my HZ-H4 again to get a more heavier sound with less noise

@Arcane....how noisey is your JE-1000? Mine was a very noisy unit. Don't know if it was due to it being a copy and build quality, or if that is just how they are. As the ABQ is a very quiet unit. Both units with gain turned all the way down.

Also, you mind if I send you some PM's reguarding what recording software you are using. Trying to get into recording and I have always loved your sounds.

It depents on how high I set the extra gain... It's clearly very noisey when I use the full extra gain but I usually have it turned up like 30%.

Ask whatever you want :)

It depents on how high I set the extra gain... It's clearly very noisey when I use the full extra gain but I usually have it turned up like 30%.

Ask whatever you want :)

you set your boost gain only 30%? that isnt much isnt it?

It's not much, but not much is needed. That's what amp gain is for.

I'm with Arcane...my boost is either turned all the way down or just turned up 25-30%, just to give it a little more sustain and bite.

I first tried it with boost turned up all the way and 1. it doesn't sound as good..starts to sound to compressed, and 2. it is just WAY too noisy.