EMG707 & EMG81-7

I swapped the bridge of my HellRaiser C7 with an 81-7 and have never been happier with it. The 707 was too wooly for my tastes. It was as easy as unplugging the old 707 and plugging in the 81-7, so no worries.

I swapped the bridge of my HellRaiser C7 with an 81-7 and have never been happier with it. The 707 was too wooly for my tastes. It was as easy as unplugging the old 707 and plugging in the 81-7, so no worries.

Thanks dude. Did you find your 707 was stupidly muddy and bassy, even when you turned down the bass and resonance? I can't get a good trebely, gainy tone from mine (and thats the kind of tone I like) so I'm hoping the 81 will fix :).

Thanks dude. Did you find your 707 was stupidly muddy and bassy, even when you turned down the bass and resonance? I can't get a good trebely, gainy tone from mine (and thats the kind of tone I like) so I'm hoping the 81 will fix :).

I've never played any 7-string EMG's, but your description sums up exactly how I feel about the 85 (6-string 707) vs. 81 after numerous tests and comparisons, so 81 (especially @ 18v) for me all the way! :headbang: Still, I like the 85 a WHOLE lot more than the Blackout Bridge, it has a woofy, nasty grungy sort of sound I can't stand :ill:

SOURCES:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ut-bridge-vs-emg81-round-2-dtb-content-d.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ones-please-pick-your-favorite-lpf-jesus.html (this one is the 85 vs. 81)

Does anyone know how to do the reversible EMG81 18 volt mod on a Hellraiser C7? There is a completely separate battery compartment and the only way I know how to do it is like this (more text below the image):

13148c310a859d26.gif

However, my guitar looks like this (more text below):
battery.jpg

both.jpg

So long story short, how would I 18 volt (preferably reversibly) this guitar? Would I have to patch into the wires going to the battery compartment?

I can't get a good trebely, gainy tone from mine (and thats the kind of tone I like) so I'm hoping the 81 will fix :).

It might not be the best idea to be using an all-mahogany guitar with a rosewood fretboard and pickups styled on the 85. If you like trebly tones, perhaps look into an alder bodied guitar with a maple neck.

The 707 beats out the 81-7 for me. It has a lot more character, sounds a bit less sterile, and a ton more brutal. If the tones you are getting from the C7/707 combo (my main axe for over 3 years now) are too muddy, may I suggest that the problem might lie with playing technique.

It might not be the best idea to be using an all-mahogany guitar with a rosewood fretboard and pickups styled on the 85. If you like trebly tones, perhaps look into an alder bodied guitar with a maple neck.

The 707 beats out the 81-7 for me. It has a lot more character, sounds a bit less sterile, and a ton more brutal. If the tones you are getting from the C7/707 combo (my main axe for over 3 years now) are too muddy, may I suggest that the problem might lie with playing technique.

Sorry Ermz, I gotta disagree - my favorite combo is a really deep, ballsy guitar to provide the body/meat in the tone, and the 81 to provide the razer-sharp cut, a match made in heaven IMO! (much moreso than a thin-sounding guitar with a bassy pickup, which often sound loose and woofy/muddy IME) And I don't really know what "has a lot more character" means, but the sterility is remedied by the 18 volt mod (though sorry Matt, I don't really know how you would work it out in your situation, though I *think* tapping into the wires going to the compartment would be your best bet) Anyway, it's all opinion and taste of course, and the 707's/85's are hardly unusable! :)

Haha, I think this will go on for a while. I like a tone like Ermz describes myself, but I feel the 707 can't deliver that. Taking into consideration within a mix situation things change a bit as far as what is needed/desired from a guitar tone, I can't say I'll ever try a 707 in an all mahogany 7-string again. In a brighter guitar, sure. The ash bodied Loomis signature, for example, the 707 is tits in that thing no doubt about it. That ash, IMO, makes the difference.

Matt: I'm not sure if my C7 has the battery box that snaps closed like yours or if mine is the older version with just a cover that screws on over the battery route (I'm at work ATM) - I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Either way, I know my battery is not with the main cavity, but separate like yours. The way I would do the mod is to have the 2nd battery in the main cavity. Pretty simple from there. Find the leads from the battery box connections and cut them in the main cavity, wire the two clips (from the 2nd 9v and the 9v wires coming from the battery box) to the one, and voila - done! You're probably not going to be able to do a clean reversible mod like in Darren Wilson's picture, but just because you solder some wires together doesn't mean it can't be reversed. ;)

Also, I don't think I clarified earlier, but the 81-7 and the 707, at least the ones I have, are identical in size.

Haha, I think this will go on for a while. I like a tone like Ermz describes myself, but I feel the 707 can't deliver that. Taking into consideration within a mix situation things change a bit as far as what is needed/desired from a guitar tone, I can't say I'll ever try a 707 in an all mahogany 7-string again. In a brighter guitar, sure. The ash bodied Loomis signature, for example, the 707 is tits in that thing no doubt about it. That ash, IMO, makes the difference.

Matt: I'm not sure if my C7 has the battery box that snaps closed like yours or if mine is the older version with just a cover that screws on over the battery route (I'm at work ATM) - I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Either way, I know my battery is not with the main cavity, but separate like yours. The way I would do the mod is to have the 2nd battery in the main cavity. Pretty simple from there. Find the leads from the battery box connections and cut them in the main cavity, wire the two clips (from the 2nd 9v and the 9v wires coming from the battery box) to the one, and voila - done! You're probably not going to be able to do a clean reversible mod like in Darren Wilson's picture, but just because you solder some wires together doesn't mean it can't be reversed. ;)

Also, I don't think I clarified earlier, but the 81-7 and the 707, at least the ones I have, are identical in size.

Do the wires need to be soldered? Couldn't you just twist them together and tape them, or use one of those wire joiner things with the screw in the middle?

But thanks for that, I'll check it out.

Wow, flashback to when I still had a couple of ESP 7 strings (which I sold quite a while ago.) Now my "only" 7 string is a Schecter Jeff Loomis with 707s, and it's my favorite guitar I've ever owned. Very beefy sounding, does everything I need tone-wise, a very full spectrum sound. I might get another one minus the Floyd for variation, but I highly recommend this axe!

The 81-7 can sound good, if you like 81s go for it, you'll just have to dial your amp accordingly. With a 6505 that should be no problem at all. I'm not as much of a pickup nazi as I used to be, but I'm definitely of the mind that 707s and 85s are the pickups for me.

Do the wires need to be soldered? Couldn't you just twist them together and tape them, or use one of those wire joiner things with the screw in the middle?

But thanks for that, I'll check it out.

You could do that if you wish, I personally wouldn't because it's a little ghetto but it would work for a while. It may come undone easily if you simply twist them and tape them. I would at least get some crimp-able connectors or even the twist kind - anything more solid than twist+tape.

Wow, flashback to when I still had a couple of ESP 7 strings (which I sold quite a while ago.) Now my "only" 7 string is a Schecter Jeff Loomis with 707s, and it's my favorite guitar I've ever owned. Very beefy sounding, does everything I need tone-wise, a very full spectrum sound. I might get another one minus the Floyd for variation, but I highly recommend this axe!

The 81-7 can sound good, if you like 81s go for it, you'll just have to dial your amp accordingly. With a 6505 that should be no problem at all. I'm not as much of a pickup nazi as I used to be, but I'm definitely of the mind that 707s and 85s are the pickups for me.

Def man, the 707 works really well in the Loomis. An 81-7 would probably be too bright, like I said the woods in the Loomis probably lend a nice hand to the 707's not being so wooly in comparison to the HR (all mahogany - i.e. dark/warm).

Ahh I worked it out, I ended up twisting the wires together and then heatshrinking them. When I first played it it had crystal cleans but no drive at all (while on the lead channel with pregain on 6 on a 6505, so obviously it should have been screaming), but it turns out I had the battery in backwards!

Cheers for the help.

Well since he posted that 3.5 years ago Rex, I can only hope he discovered that for himself by now :D