EMG's, Countryman 85 .... why??

izzyrock

Chilean Rocker
Dec 16, 2006
Santiago, Chile
www.javierbassino.com
I've been reading about why it's not good to use the type 85 with an EMG, since it only takes up to 5V input.

I was looking at EMG' tech specs and I found this:

EMG-81
RMS Output Voltage : 1.25

So.. 1.25v... and the countryman takes 5v. so thats pretty much a lot of headroom

And.. The output impedance of that pickup is 10kohm, and the countryman's input resistance is up to 10Mohm.

So. my question is.. why its preferable to use another di box when using EMG instead of the active countryman? So far the values look right to me.. what I am missing??

Thanks in advance

ok i see you got if from the pop up window which value should you use the rms output voltage or the strum out put voltage and whats the difference?

Very interested in the answer as well. Since i don't have that much money and can only buy one DI right now. But got 2 guitars i like to record with. One being Passive and the other one EMG 81's.

I think you guys are nitpicking and overanalyzing this shit... Just get a good DI and forget about whether you are using passive or active pickups, the resistance difference between 2 DIs is going to contribute fuck all to the end result compared to all the other factors.

I think you guys are nitpicking and overanalyzing this shit... Just get a good DI and forget about whether you are using passive or active pickups, the resistance difference between 2 DIs is going to contribute fuck all to the end result compared to all the other factors.
+ 1 the difference would be so minute, only dogs could tell the dif.

Hmzzz actually like those answers :p I'll get myself one of these then, need them pretty quickly so sorry for the push (A)

Well i'm using a two battery mod with emg 81-7 and emg 707, thick strings close to the pickup, so it could be a problem if 1 battery strum is 4.5 volts.

But i may be wrong :)

It's always good to have some headroom left for occasional spikes.