Emotional Songs - pick your faves

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
"Chop Suey!" by System of a Down (Toxicity).

I always liked this song, but I listened to this about 4 times last night in a row, and I dunno what happened...something just clicked. The part where they sing "Father - why have you forsaken me" in those vocal harmonies just raises the hairs on my arms. Truly brilliant, moving song where everything just falls perfectly into place.

"Better Man" by Pearl Jam (Vitalogy).

Come on, those lyrics and that emotion in the singing? Just brilliant, and the part where Vedder sings "she feeds him...that's why she'll be back again" defines the best Pearl Jam song ever.

"Let Down" by Radiohead (OK Computer).

The last verse in that song proves why Tom Yorke is by far one of the greatest vocalists on the planet. And I have three bootlegs of them doing this live, and he nails it everytime. Without doubt, one of the best albums of our generation.

Tool - Pushit
My all time favorite song, I live my life according to it: "There's no love in fear" is the greatest line ever.

Supertramp - Hide in Your Shell
Those soothing, beautiful vocals combined with that creepy keyboard scream get me every time, what an absolutely amazing song.

A Perfect Circle - Judith
My favorite religious commentary song ever done, I have dedicated this to some people in my life, and that's not a compliment.

Black Sabbath - Sabbra Cadabra
Best love song ever from the godfathers of metal. Whodathunkit?

Tool - Jerk-off
Dedicated to every hypocritical asshole I've ever met. Makes my blood boil every time I hear it, but it provides such an emotional release that it's worth it.

From a phase about two weeks back:

Berlin - Take My Breath Away
Phil Collins - That's Just The Way It Is, Do You Remember?, Another Day In Paradise, All Of My Life
The Cars - Drive
Poison - I Want Action :p
Roxy Music - Dance Away, Avalon
Whitesnake - Is This Love?, Love Ain't No Stranger, Looking For Love, Now You're Gone

Savatage - When the Crowds are Gone

Those final bars where Criss Oliva's playing just merges in and plays alongside the string section of the orchestra...

I got some tear jerkers! ;)

Marillion - Warm Wet Circles and Sugar Mice from Clutching at Straws and Runnaway Girl from Brave

Rainbow - Rainbow Eyes (I cry like a bitch to this song! :) ).

Deep Purple - Child in Time (Gillan sings his ass off!)

Black Sabbath - Wishing Well (Dream for a while of the things that make you smile, cause you know, oh you know, that I'm your wishing well...I wish you well) :)

Queensryche - Suite Sister Mary (the female vocals are amazing!!!)

Queen - The Show Must go On (this was Freddy's swan song...the pure emotion in that tune alone sends chills)

Kamelot - Sailormans Hymn (esp. the live version Khan just get so emotional when singing that tune)

Blackmore's Night - I Still Remember (damn I picked a lot of Blackmore related tunage...this one has Candice on vocals, and the bagpipes are sweet!)

Stratovarius - Forever (sniff sniff) and Venus in the Morning (I could make love to that song!!! :) )

Eric Johnson - Desert Rose (fucken solo is awesome...and besides one of the few bands my wife enjoys from my collection)

Dokken - Alone Again (ok admit it how many of you growing up would make out to this tune...I did!!!)

MSG - Love is not a game (see Dokken above)

Shadowking - Russia (Lou Graham of Foreigner and Vivian Campbell together produced this awesome tune, rest of the CD is just OK)

Scorpions - Still Loving You (see Dokken and MSG) and Coast to Coast (one of the few instrumentals that I like)

Y&T - Midnight in Tokyo (one of the underated bands in the 80's)

and the all time tear jerker ever...what else but Led Zeppelin's - Stairway to Heaven...say what you will but that song was made to woo your women! :)

Ayeka said:
Phil Collins - That's Just The Way It Is, Do You Remember?, Another Day In Paradise, All Of My Life
Haha, Phil Collins. Liking his music is probably the untr00est thing you can do, but I like him. It's not like I'd run out and buy a new album from him, but he's got some really good songs that I used to love when I used to listen to my dad's CD's when I was about 10. "Another Day In Paradise" is a really good song.

As for emotional songs. Well, I'm not totally sure what you're asking for, but a few that come to mind:

Empyrium - basically every song
Agalloch - Haunting Birds
The Gathering - Sand and Mercury
Anathema - One Last Goodbye
Naervaer - En Som...

I really like that SOAD song too.

JayKeeley said:
Ugh - how could I forget. Midnight, lights dimmed, curtains drawn, and Weiland...oh. my. god. :cry:
I know you like all that neo-folk, forest music whatever type stuff, so you should DEFINATELY check out Forseti. I have their most recent album "Windzeit" and I have their debut on the way. It's very much like latter day Empyrium, Hagalaz' Runedance, "Kveldssanger" and all that shit, and possibly even better than those albums. Really stunning stuff. It's all sung in German, which seems to suit this style really well. I know you'd like it.

Doom said:
I know you like all that neo-folk, forest music whatever type stuff, so you should DEFINATELY check out Forseti. I have their most recent album "Windzeit" and I have their debut on the way. It's very much like latter day Empyrium, Hagalaz' Runedance, "Kveldssanger" and all that shit, and possibly even better than those albums. Really stunning stuff. It's all sung in German, which seems to suit this style really well. I know you'd like it.
Thanks for the reco. Got a URL? I'll check out Equilibrium Music and see if they have it. Also, while I have your attention, do you have any Sol Invictus?

JayKeeley said:
Thanks for the reco. Got a URL? I'll check out Equilibrium Music and see if they have it. Also, while I have your attention, do you have any Sol Invictus?
They do have a web-site, but I can't remember it. A search on Google should do it. Only place I've seen that stock their CD's is good ol' Prophecy.

Sol Invictus - I got interested in hearing them like most, after I heard the Agalloch cover. I downloaded some samples and while the music sounded really good, the vocals were just atrocious. Seriously, they totally ruined it. But I'd still be interested in hearing a full album. But no, sorry I can't help.

For ages and ages I've been meaning to pick up something by either them, Death In June or Current 93 who are all associated with each other in some way, but I never have. Plus a load of other bands similar to them I have written down somewhere in a "To check out" list.

Doom said:
They do have a web-site, but I can't remember it. A search on Google should do it. Only place I've seen that stock their CD's is good ol' Prophecy.
Ahh..old reliable. Thanks man. I'll be sure to check these guys out. From the description, the packaging sounds very sweet too.

Sol Invictus - I got interested in hearing them like most, after I heard the Agalloch cover. I downloaded some samples and while the music sounded really good, the vocals were just atrocious.
I'll always keep an eye out on eBay for them - see if I pick something up cheap. At least I'm intrigued to hear the original of the Agalloch cover.

JayKeeley said:
I'll always keep an eye out on eBay for them - see if I pick something up cheap. At least I'm intrigued to hear the original of the Agalloch cover.
It sounds nothing like you'd expect. Nothing like the cover.

Yes, the original "Kneel to the Cross" will be quite disappointing if you´ve heard the Agalloch cover first.

The best Sol Invictus song I´ve heard so far is "Trees in Winter", and it´s not extremely good. As Doom said - the voice ruins a lot.

Death in June is better, although I haven´t heard that much of them yet.

Verago said:
The best Sol Invictus song I´ve heard so far is "Trees in Winter", and it´s not extremely good. As Doom said - the voice ruins a lot.
"Trees in Winter" - I think that's one of the songs I heard a sample of, and I also thought it was the best out of the few I've heard. I might try and download the whole song, and maybe I'll get used to those diabolical vocals.

Doom said:
Haha, Phil Collins. Liking his music is probably the untr00est thing you can do, but I like him. It's not like I'd run out and buy a new album from him, but he's got some really good songs that I used to love when I used to listen to my dad's CD's when I was about 10. "Another Day In Paradise" is a really good song.

I can't really challenge that :p can't forget In The Air Tonight either, can we?

My favourite emotional songs of all time include:

Reamonn - Supergirl
The Cure - Pretty much all of Disintegration and Bloodflowers
Concrete Blond - Tmorrow Wendy
Simon And Garfunkel - Sound Of Silence
This Mortal Coil - Holocaust

To name a few :) I tend to find most metal less emotionally affecting than non-metal..