Empyrium, recommendations please

Jackehh

Oct 9, 2007
Being a big fan of ulvers kveldssanger and bergtatt, an acquintance of mine told me to check out the band empyrium. After listening to a few songs I have to admit it really sounds promising and I am considering purchasing one of their records but I'd like to have tips as to which one to buy. Any help is appreciated, and tips on other similar music as well.

For those that haven't heard kveldssanger or bergtatt by ulver, it is basically some kind of folk, folk/black metal with nylon as well as distorted guitars, mix between black metal rasp vocals and folk!

Thanks in advance!

Weiland is definitely their best and most developed, it's an amazingly dark and rich medieval sounding acoustic album. The previous album, "Where at Night the Wood-Grouse Plays," has instrumentation much more in line with Kveldssanger - it's mostly solo acoustics with sparse vocals and wind instruments here and there. It's not nearly as developed as Weiland, but if you like Kveldssanger you will probably love it, it's like a slightly more developed version of that album.

Their first and second albums are kind of doomy and have plenty of distorted guitars but are very much identifiable as the same band. Wintersun (their first album) is a bit sloppy, but there are interesting bits here and there and if you like their other three you should definitely get it. Their second album, Songs of Moor and Misty Fields, is truly incredible and easily one of my favorite albums of the genre (better than most Opeth/Agalloch/Ulver albums IMHO). The vocals are kinda shaky but it doesn't detract from the music.

Another band you might want to check out if you enjoy Weiland is Tenhi - they're a much more ethnic-sounding band but the same general category of extremely dark and moody "folk music" that sounds like it sprung from metal origins.

"Songs of Moors and Misty Fields" and "Weiland" are the ones I like most. The first is more melodic, the second has a great atmosphere.

And some other good bands you might like: Agalloch, Dornenreich, Klabautamann, October Falls, Uaral