ENGL Fireball+Powerball Recording/EQ/Mixing?

gorath23

Feb 6, 2008
I know theres a few of us on here that own the Fireball and/or Powerball and I was just wondering what kind of setup you have when recording them? Preferred mic placement, dual or quad tracked and especially what EQ settings you tend to use afterwards.

I recently recorded a (bad) song using my Fireball and I was really unhappy with the tone afterwards, it just never sounds 'big'. It was quad-tracked but whatever I do the low end always gets lost and muddy or rather the high-end seemed pretty hyped. I was using the Fredman technique for it. I have previously single mic'd it with similar results. I have since EQ'd it differently and it now sounds clearer (took out some hi mids around 3k) but still not thick or beefy. You can hear the original here: www.myspace.com/cathisord Its the first song.

Please post up some recommeded settings!

Lower the gain and bring the mic closer to the membrane but further from the cone

Lower the gain and bring the mic closer to the membrane but further from the cone

Yeah I was going to give the single mic Sneap position a go anyway next time. I didn't feel as if the gain was too high. The Nailbomb equipped guitar was at 9 o'clock whilst the main EMG equipped guitar was at 10 o'clock. Still too high?

well in general the amps seem to sound best with engl cabs (v30 or v60). They sound too fizzy and too scooped through everything else (never tried a mesa cab yet though..).
theres nothing you could do wrong with the amp settings, the fireball sounds fuckin brutal metal and you`re not gonna get it to sound any different!

here are my normal settings(oclock) for u to get an idea:
gain: 9-10
bass: 12-1
mid:1-3
treb: 12-2
pres: everything after 12oclock is fine (wouldnt go higher than 5oclock though)

thats all there is to it actually. put one sm57 on the best sounding speaker (preferably one of the bottom ones(my experience)) slightly away from the edge of the cone. WHAMMY!
I`ll post some pics soon.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure one day its going to just click, or at least start too because my settings are very similar, but it just ain't happening yet! My Framus cab is loaded with v30's and I've modified it to get it as air-tight as possible and added some acoustic foam to dampen it down a bit/reduce the standing waves inside the cab, so it sounds pretty good in general. I'll give the single mic a go again and maybe try using it with some impulses and see how that goes, using impulses with the Fireball seems to be an instant win!

Yeah I was going to give the single mic Sneap position a go anyway next time. I didn't feel as if the gain was too high. The Nailbomb equipped guitar was at 9 o'clock whilst the main EMG equipped guitar was at 10 o'clock. Still too high?

If you're going to quad track then you should consider lowering the gain cause in the mix the guitars will sound more distorted.