ENGL Fireball for recording

Personally I really love mine in general. I'm no expert at recording so I can't comment too much, except, yes it seems to record really well. I haven't noticed that it is excessively fizzy, any fizz you get is normally down to the V30's. I recently tried the Sneap Edge single mic position and didn't even need to EQ out the V30 fizzage though, sounded great straight away. I found that any fizz I have had normally occurred when mic'ing dead on centre (1 of 2 mics in the Fredman technique for example). Apparently its really easy to use as a preamp with Impulses too, so far I haven't really tried that route, but it didn't work too well for me the couple of times I did. Don't be mistaken into thinking its just a stripped down version of the Powerball, its a different design. Although it has similar characteristics, it has a much better reputation overall.

The FireBall and PowerBall are slightly similar sounding at best. I have owned a PowerBall and always thought the two were essentially the same amp, just the PBall had more bells and whistles. Totally wrong. Check this clip that is Engl FireBall on left, Bugera 333 on the right, 1-track each @ 100% panning L/R. One SM57 on-axis, edge of dustcap/cone, 1/2" from grill on a Mesa oversized 4x12 with V30s. The clip is of a band I recorded a while back. I like the FireBall a lot more than my old PowerBall and may get one in the future to have sitting here for studio work.

~006

The FireBall and PowerBall are slightly similar sounding at best. I have owned a PowerBall and always thought the two were essentially the same amp, just the PBall had more bells and whistles. Totally wrong. Check this clip that is Engl FireBall on left, Bugera 333 on the right, 1-track each @ 100% panning L/R. One SM57 on-axis, edge of dustcap/cone, 1/2" from grill on a Mesa oversized 4x12 with V30s. The clip is of a band I recorded a while back. I like the FireBall a lot more than my old PowerBall and may get one in the future to have sitting here for studio work.

~006

nice mix...

are you using parallel compression on the guitars?

drums sound wicked :) what was your aproach to those?

Thanks man! I don't think I used parallel comp on the guitars...but I could have, because around the time of that project I had learned about the technique...so maybe, haha. I'd have to go back and look at it, or it should be in the original thread.

As far as the drums, only thing triggered are the two kick drums, DDrum Pro triggers directly into the interface, recorded the pops. Replaced the sound using apTrigga and a pair of Dissection kick samples from the big zip that is linked in the Drum Samples Meta thread. Both samples are pitched down, the first is only very slightly, the second is a little more pitched. Everything else is all natural. Snare is just SM57...can't remember everything else, again it should be mentioned in the thread. I prefer natural drums instead of overly processed ones, but thats preference. I'm actually thinking of doing a remix on it to get some more beef in it and try to fix that snare once and for all...sometimes that over-tone of ping is cool...sometimes it's not.

~006