ENGL Fireball -- to keep or not to keep?

iacntspell

New Metal Member
Mar 9, 2012
So I've got an ENGL Fireball 60 watt amp that I've had for about a year, and while I feel ok (note: not amazing) about the tone I get when messing around, I haven't been able to get a decent tone when recording (see the mix/tone forum for more about that...).

My question is whether I should hang on to the Fireball and continue to tweak, or whether I should consider swapping it for something more suited to the sound I'm going for. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get close to a newer Katatonia-type sound... extremely tight and heavy, without needing to be ridiculously over-the-top-death-metal-brutal.

Is this something I can get out of the Fireball, or is there something in the same used price range (ideally, I'd be able to trade or sell and buy without having to invest more than $100-200 or so) that would better suit me?

If you're not satisfied with your sound, sell it. I.e. the new 50watt EVH III is in the same price range, and imo it's way better than the fireball. it's all a matter of taste, only you know, what sound you like.. go to guitar center or something and play some amps!