ENGL Powerball vs 6505 ?

HaydenLM1

Aug 21, 2011
Hi guys!
Im new to this forum and really need some help!

I have an option to get an ENGL Powerball 1 + Z5 Footswitch
or the Peavey 6505 and its footswitch.
i can get the ENGL for £650 and the Peavey for £515.

Now for the real point,
I heard that the PB is very versatile and can do more then just Black Metal, great cleans, sounds amazing on low volume and really look cool on top of it:loco: heh.
but I also heard that its not good for recording heavy guitars and get lost in the mix, live and in the studio and it also lacks a lot of midrange!

In the other hand i got the 6505 which is an amazing amp aswell as we all know!
but I heard that the cleans are not so good, and not versatile at all, but it sits good in the mix and also when playing live.

I WILL BE RUNNING BOTH OF THEM WITH A MESA RECTIFIER 2X12 CABINET WITH V30s.
I wanna play the amp live and get a good tone and in the studio too if possible!

I cant try any of these in my area and even if I could, i wanna hear how it sounds under the mic, what its potential!
I know how good is the 6505 but I also really like the Powerball from this Clip here : I think it sound just amazing!

I have got an Ibanez TS9DX, and a noise gate for boosting the amp if it will make any of them sound better in a way, just trying to give the most information of possible of what i can offer to get a good tone, the other thing is, unfortunately I cant play the amp loud, and thats why i was also thinking of the Powerball!

Sorry about all that but im just..so confused and dont know what to do!
Please any suggestions ? What would you do ? Maybe i should save a little bit more and get the Dual rectifier or Savage 120 ? I DONT KNOW!!!

and me and my band playing stuff like, Metallica, Lamb of God, Trivium, BFMV and stuff like that, but mostly, OUR OWN :)
I wanna be able to record us, I have got Superior Drummer so should be good ?! I really want get the Powerball, but im too scared that I will be disappointed (although i can always sell it and get the 6505 / 5150 or whatever)

HELP! :worship:notworthy:worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the 6505 will be ok at low volumes ? will it sounds good in the recording ?

All tube amps sound better when they are cranked so I wouldn't mark either amp in front of the other on that front. (I've recorded a 6505 in my bedroom no issues) The 6505 isn't as well rounded as the PB but its overdrive is much better IMO. It does 1 thing REALLY well....I guess it depends how much you use the clean channel, if you mainly use the distorted channels then you should be fine.

I'd go 6505.

btw, 5150 is also an option guys but i heard that the 6505 and 5150 are almost the same.
and YES and the clean channels are REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME! :(
and what about to put an EQ infront of the Powerball guys ? what do you think? bring the mids up?

the problem that i can only afford the second hand stuff haha, and these 5150 III are extremely hard to find! :(
but i have to get something else! im stucked a PEAVEY VALVEKING here! rescue me someone please! haha (but it does have nice clean i guess)

Get the Peavey.

If you like the modern metal productions, then you know that the 6505 is used in almost half of them (Trivium and BFMV sound is mostly Peavey). I agree with James that the clean is not as good as the overdriven/distorted, but can be useful. Also the combination with a Mesa cab is killer. Throw a TS in front and you're done

I don't know about the Powerball, as I've never played/recorded one, so I can't do the comparison. I own the E570 which is really great, but the more "useful" tones I've recorded were with the Peavey

already got a TS9DX :)
and whatabout saving the money for the SAVAGE 120 or the DUAL RECTIFIER ? will that be better?
but at the moment its still 6505 / 5150 vs Powerball

Please be aware that I will be recording in a bedroom level guys (something about 1.5).
and I heard that a lot of people cant get a good tone of the powerball just because they dont know how to set one up ? is that correct?

i think I trust you're word Ola, because i liked the sound you got from the PB more than the 6505.
i can get both of them really cheap anyways,and sell the PB if i dont like it and get the 6505 and even make a profit on it or got full money back :D.

Ola, do you remember what post-processing you've done with the powerball to get that tone ? I adore it!

I would also go with the Powerball since it's the more flexible choice with separate controls for both clean and distorted channels, even though I really like the 6505 sound.

the truth is you'll get great tone from both, the 6505 might be a bit more raw and organic, but in a live enviroment the tone "quality" of the amps is interchangeable

I played somebodys Powerball at a gig a few years ago, my friend (other guitarist) had a 6505. My guitar wasn't audible at all, just a scooped fuzz that floated around wear as the 6505 sounded meaty and cut through perfect.

Just another 2$

I played somebodys Powerball at a gig a few years ago, my friend (other guitarist) had a 6505. My guitar wasn't audible at all, just a scooped fuzz that floated around wear as the 6505 sounded meaty and cut through perfect.

Just another 2$

maybe it was the settings man ?