Engl Victor smolski tone compared to powerball

BrutalStory

New Metal Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hi,

i just want to know if the ENGL Victor smolski Ltd E646 amp channel 1 clean are good. Do you prefer powerball II or V.S. cleans?

Is the voicing on V.S. is the same as the powerball 2 (with more gain) or less "scooped"? Does V.S. have more or less mid than powerball2?

Is V.S. performing as well as the powerball2 at low volume?

Wich one do you prefer?

V.S. amp is not available at my local store and this amp seems to rock. I like powerball voicing and i'm not sure wich one i should buy.

Thx for your help!!
:headbang::headbang:

Not sure if they both blow, lol.
Anyway, looking at your name, I'd say you are pretty much a heavy head. I have played the PB, but not the VS, although there are great reviews on it.
The Powerball, Chris Broderick used them, Marty Friedman uses them, Erik Rutan loves his. I don't think that any amp "blows" to be honest, as I can't see blokes like Erik and Co using them if they did!. Don't be turned off with comments like that. I enjoyed the cleans on the PB as well as the Brutalness of it. Especially it's compressed sound that it achieves. I dont know if the VS is the same, but it should have some sought of Engl relevance. I have heard clips of the VS and I liked what I heard. PBs are falling in price now 2nd hand, and if you are looking for "Brutal", I don't think for their prices, that you could go wrong. Some are going to chime in and say they don't cut in a live situation, but I think otherwise. Just a matter of tuning it in properly and understanding the other guitarists rig as well.
When all else fails, try em both out if you can, I can't see you going wrong with either, mainly because they DON'T blow!