ENGL Powerball vs 6505 ?

maybe it was the settings man ?

Nope, I use to use a 5150II on stage...our other guitarist loved his Marshall. You couldn't hear the Marshall over the 5150. So you think a mid-scooped amp is going to do it in any shape or form? I doubt it.

Most guitarists don't know to crank their mids on stage either....otherwise it's always going to be white noise no matter what you're playing.

I have to walk out on so many local metal shows because it's nothing but fuzz from guitarists with more money than ear.

Nope, I use to use a 5150II on stage...our other guitarist loved his Marshall. You couldn't hear the Marshall over the 5150. So you think a mid-scooped amp is going to do it in any shape or form? I doubt it.

Most guitarists don't know to crank their mids on stage either....otherwise it's always going to be white noise no matter what you're playing.

I have to walk out on so many local metal shows because it's nothing but fuzz from guitarists with more money than ear.

do you think that the amp's scoop can be sorted with an EQ infront of it ?

with an FX unit and a the ability to roll back gain on the guitar for your clean tones you get a somewhat decent sound out of it, even if it will never be really clean or exactly exciting/awesome.
useable though

but I have yet to come across a powerball/fireball sound I really like
Ola doesnt count, he'll make ANYTHING sound good :lol:

Back in my noobiest days, long before I knew about this forum or recording or anything, I wanted to get my first tube head...thought the powerball and fireball could be a cool option (moneyz and stuff^^).
I didn't even need to compare those 2 to other amps to know that they weren't for me, and as soon as I found a 6505+ in the same room and did comparisons it was clear for me which one to take.
So you have to compare and decide for yourself. No music shops near you?

with an FX unit and a the ability to roll back gain on the guitar for your clean tones you get a somewhat decent sound out of it, even if it will never be really clean or exactly exciting/awesome.
useable though

but I have yet to come across a powerball/fireball sound I really like
Ola doesnt count, he'll make ANYTHING sound good :lol:

Back in my noobiest days, long before I knew about this forum or recording or anything, I wanted to get my first tube head...thought the powerball and fireball could be a cool option (moneyz and stuff^^).
I didn't even need to compare those 2 to other amps to know that they weren't for me, and as soon as I found a 6505+ in the same room and did comparisons it was clear for me which one to take.
So you have to compare and decide for yourself. No music shops near you?

There is. but they're only keeping fenders and line 6 (i live in a small city and have to travel miles just to try something!)
and Ola is using a SM57 only on the powerball and it just blew me away, honestly! and its so versatile..
i think ill get the powerball, if i dont like it, ill sale it for more and get the 6505 or maybe try to trade it for a dual recto :>

I think you should try them, in my experience, the powerball was "rougher" to play than the 5150, dunno if you get what I mean.

I've played several times with a powerball while I own a 6505...I prefer the 6505, but then again, it's my experience, it's me playing, and all that related to my personal tastes ;)

I played somebodys Powerball at a gig a few years ago, my friend (other guitarist) had a 6505. My guitar wasn't audible at all, just a scooped fuzz that floated around wear as the 6505 sounded meaty and cut through perfect.

Just another 2$
This sums it up.
Not saying ola is wrong, but you can't give much on his opinion (sorry ola:)) cause he makes every amp sound awesome!:D
If you're not planning on being the only guitarist in the band (or even the only instrument in the mix) ignore the PB.
it's a decent amp for live (if they're no other guitarists/live instruments), but after all you're on the Sneap forum, and mr. Sneap himself has never used the PB on any album AFAIK, but he used the 6505/5150 all the time.
If you're into Sneap's sounds, get a good amp, get the 6505.
If you're the only guitarists or even instrumentalist in your band or if you need a neat place to put your girlfriend's vase on get the pb

Not saying ola is wrong, but you can't give much on his opinion (sorry ola:)) cause he makes every amp sound awesome!:D

what is funny though: Ola didn't sound as good with 5150 as I thought he would, so it seems that amp doesnt fit him too much...PB seems to work better for him.

If you're the only guitarists or even instrumentalist in your band or if you need a neat place to put your girlfriend's vase on get the pb

:lol:

I have had a problem with recording 5150. they just don't fit my playing or the sound I'm after. But I still love its sound!

same for me with the PB...I don't love it's sound tho. Your PB clips are the only ones I heared so far that I liked, altho the Mesas with you best imo.

Well... I can always end up having the 6505 or 5150 .. But it will be really hard to get the PB. so ill get the pb. If i dont like , ill sell it and get the 6505 or the 5150 cuz there is absolutley loads of them around in the UK.

Getting the PB because it doesnt only offer a Dist. Easy to control, and 4 channels . And if Ola got that sound out of a PB , it just means that it is possible to get a good tone, its just the way you dial it in.

I wish i could play and compare both lol, but the PB still offers more options and versatility than the peaveys!

Hey!
The powerball sounds awesome dude. I've been recording this amp (4x12 mesa and sm57) and sounds killer in the mix.
Quick question: what do you guys prefer: open or focused mids? Bottom no bottom?
No doubt about de channel: lo gain is more clear and punchy
Cheers!

I'd argue if this statement is valid, but luckily there's usualy enough bands on a console to counter-crank your crank :Smokedev:

Well, it's certainly going depend on the situation. My advise is directed at the poster who more than likely isn't playing in a well designed room with crazy good sound guys and a bazillion euros to spend on the PA system to make a scooped distorted guitar sound good. He's probably going to be in a small club or place where sound bounces in weird ways and scooped guitars are going to turn into white noise because the sound guy has always heard that scooped guitars sound good on the albums he likes.

5150 first became popular not because of it's recorded tone, but because of it's road worthiness, ability to take a beating on tour, and the fact that it cuts through a live mix like a hot knife through butter. Turns out it works really well for recording at the same time.

I would suggest that if your main use is going to be live....5150, no question. If your main purpose is to have a studio amp, get the one you feel better playing and sounds better to you, mic'ed in a controlled environment.