Engl Powerball

Niknak101

New Metal Member
Aug 3, 2005
I've had a powerball for about 2 months now and am still trying to tweak the settings at practice. Just wondering what way Chris, and anyone else for that matter, have their powerball set. I am not looking to try to sound like any one else in particular, just wanting to know what works well in a live situation or what to avoid.

Primarily what I am curious to find out about is:

Does anyone use Channel four instead of channel three.
Open or focused Mids.
Lo Bottom Switches in or out.
How much Depth punch to use.
How much gain

Niknak101 said:
I've had a powerball for about 2 months now and am still trying to tweak the settings at practice. Just wondering what way Chris, and anyone else for that matter, have their powerball set. I am not looking to try to sound like any one else in particular, just wanting to know what works well in a live situation or what to avoid.

Open or focused Mids.
How much gain
Hey Niknak101,

I use Open for rhythm, Focused for lead, botoom switched in, Depth punch at 3:00 oclock, and gain at 11:00 oclock. here is a link to a similar thread posted a while back, it will list my and others settings.
Take care, Chris.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183861

Chris, how do you switch the focus during playing? the ENGL z- whatever footswitchs cannot do it.
its the worst thing about this amp. with the savage SE you can change everything for each channel...
but the powerball just offers 1 gain setting for clean/ crunch and 1 setting for hi/ lo gain. and you've gotta work with it... or are there some ways?
cheers

Niknak101 said:

Open or focused Mids.
How much gain

i'll look what my setting are so far on todays rehersal. then i'll let u know...

Kohlrabihaus said:
Chris, how do you switch the focus during playing? the ENGL z- whatever footswitchs cannot do it.
its the worst thing about this amp. with the savage SE you can change everything for each channel...
but the powerball just offers 1 gain setting for clean/ crunch and 1 setting for hi/ lo gain. and you've gotta work with it... or are there some ways?
cheers
Hey Kohlrabihaus,

I use a computer to switch my ENGL through a Rockman octopus, which make the switching MIDI. There are lots of units that can do this. ENGL makes one for $200
Z - 11 MIDI SWITCHER
http://www.rocksolidamps.com/description.php?II=46&UID=2005081517234470.32.120.93

so to sum things up this will make it so you can control:
Master A/B
Focus Open/Close
and Channels 1-4

using any MIDI patch change devise (ex midi footswitch).
it's the way to go with this amp, Chris.

A-ha! I knew it! Chris doesn't actually play the guitar he just uses a fancy computer to play all the leads! Sweet, now I might stand a chance to program some killer riffs into my computer and sound half-way decent.

Thanks a million for the setting suggestions, :worship: they work well along with the other guitarist in the band. I actually wasn't a milion miles away with the way I had it initially.

Having the presence up that far helped to cut through a lot better up loud. At home I found the presence beyond noon quite harsh, but it made sense when a band are involved. Cutting the bass, depth punch and gain a couple of notches helped to clear things up too.

Cheers!!

Kohlrabihaus said:
cheers

Kohlrabihaus I use the ENGL Z-5 footswitch and you can change between open or focused, ch 1 -4 and both master volumes. This means you can go from open for rhythm to focused for leads or switch between the masters if you prefer. I like going to focused for leads as the db boost it gives is pretty much perfect. I set the other master to zero to avoid unwanted noise for fast start and stop riffs.