Engl Powerball vs Line 6 POD XT

Jan 7, 2009
I have been using a line 6 podxt for my recordings and I have been pretty satisfied with what I have been able to accomplish http://www.zshare.net/audio/557504296e956c69/ but I can't seem to surmount the ills of modeling tone. I have an Engl Powerball and a Mesa Recto cab (with v30s) that I use for my band. Should I switch to recording the Powerball or stick with the pod for what I have been able to accomplish so far. What hardware would I need (interfaces, mics,...) to make recording with the powerball logistically possible?

You need:

1) A mic (start with a Shure SM57)
2) A preamp
3) A sound card/interface (interfaces have a preamp included in them, but they're not as good as good standalone ones)
4) Cables: 1 x female-XLR to male-XLR (mic to preamp) + 1 x 6.3mm mono TRS to 6.3mm mono TRS (preamp line out to soundcard/interface line in)
5) A good mic stand (cheaper ones will be fiddly and won't stay in position)

You need:

1) A mic (start with a Shure SM57)
2) A preamp
3) A sound card/interface (interfaces have a preamp included in them, but they're not as good as good standalone ones)
4) Cables: 1 x female-XLR to male-XLR (mic to preamp) + 1 x 6.3mm mono TRS to 6.3mm mono TRS (preamp line out to soundcard/interface line in)
5) A good mic stand (cheaper ones will be fiddly and won't stay in position)

Forgive my ignorance, would this be an instrument cable or a speaker cable?