Engl Powerball

worthingtoni

Apr 14, 2008
Is there any kind soul who can post (or e-mail me at: jon.balefalk@gmail.com) a sample of a guitar track recorded with an Engl Powerball? Info about what cab and microphone / impulse you have used and what guitar and pickups are highly appreciated.

And when I'm at it, a track with Savage recorded guitar with the same info as above are also highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Jon

PM sent to LASSE!

Lasse! What do you think of the ENGL Powerball?

1163664947655bt91la0.jpg

hahaha :)

Well, I'm more of a Peavey guy myself, but it's always fun to experiment :) Why I want to test how close you can come is the fact that I always thought the Engl sound quite digital, the digital fizz is almost nothing compared to the Powerball's I've heard. Never owned anyone myself but I know people who have sold their just because they thought they sounded too tight.

Have anyone analyzed the sound curve from an Engl and compared it too any other tube amp like Mesa or Peavey?

Have anyone analyzed the sound curve from an Engl and compared it too any other tube amp like Mesa or Peavey?

You should compare an unboosted, passive mic Powerball sound to a boosted Mesa sound with an active mic. I'm not sure about the electronics of the Powerball, but it really sounds like it has a pretty heavy boost built-in. So, if you slap a second boost in and even use active mics, you'll be in for some ridiculous fizz and overboosting. That's where I think most people go wrong with the Powerball. You don't need active mics and/or OD.

Here's a clip of a Powerball through a Fame 4x12 V30 Cab and a Sm57 into Motu 8pre

Engl Clip
Maybe not great but pretty usable, IMO. The amp's not mine but the guitar player insisted on using it ( ;) )

Actually he really likes it and also he hasn't spent a penny for it since their bass player is buying all the gear :lol:

Not saying it's a nice amp to be recording but it does sound pretty powerful and aggresive in the room, hence the desire to have it on the record.

Actually he really likes it and also he hasn't spent a penny for it since their bass player is buying all the gear :lol:

Not saying it's a nice amp to be recording but it does sound pretty powerful and aggresive in the room, hence the desire to have it on the record.

true, it does sound good in the room, but the 500-600Hz honkyness just makes it a pain in the ass to use it on a record.

definitely an ok live-amp though

You should compare an unboosted, passive mic Powerball sound to a boosted Mesa sound with an active mic. I'm not sure about the electronics of the Powerball, but it really sounds like it has a pretty heavy boost built-in. So, if you slap a second boost in and even use active mics, you'll be in for some ridiculous fizz and overboosting. That's where I think most people go wrong with the Powerball. You don't need active mics and/or OD.

What do you mean passive/active mics? Like dynamics and condensers? o_O Cuz I find it hard to believe a particular high-gain amp would be better suited to a condenser then a good ol' 57...