ENGL Powerball problem HELP!!!

ToE MoFo

Sep 22, 2010
Hi, my ENGL Powerball V2 has problem, I set it up the other day for the first time in a month or 2, and the volume is really really low until i turn it up all the way, then it cracks up and becomes very unclear and outputs at both high volume (more bassy) and low volume, it like switches from loud to soft and breaks up.

I changed all pre amp and power tubes. no difference. I made sure my guitar cables and cab were all working properly aswell. nothing plugged into the effects loop either.

I made a video. I felt kinda awkward in the video sorry lol..

I emailed ENGL support 3 times within the last 2 weeks ago.... no response...

Anyone know the number of a guitar tech familar with ENGL's? or have any idea what the problem is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I can't really help with your problem, but you should ask Wolfeman, he's insane in his head when it comes to amp.
I just wanted to say that this is one of the best "help me" post I've ever seen, with a video, it was really clear.
Sorry I can't be of any help... :(

hm, usually it's the tubes (I've had to repair so many engls it's not even funny...in 90% of the case it was just the tubes though).
Really difficult to tell though, pretty sure Wolfe will be able to help you, he knows his shit.

try it without the footswitch hooked up. mine done something similar until i bought a replacement footswitch cable.

Most likely you have a grounding issue with the foot switch. I have had similar issues with my 5150 because the ground connections on my OD pedal are a bit loose. Considering that the footswitch is directly controlling relay switches that shift the signal path/circuit, if for what ever reason if the FS is not grounded or connected correctly right, it could misfire or partially fire, causing the all sorts of weird sound effects. Try the amp without the footswitch to test out that theroy. Aren't the Powerballs FS'ing midi controlled? If so that kinda complicates things if it is the FS.

I bet on...flaky solder joint... maybe the one connecting gain pot to ground bus... or a part in the signal path.

Technical reasoning: with one component not connected the signal has no current path to ground, and so couples to the next gain stage only through stray capacitance -- hence the lack of bass when the levels are down. Capacitance passes high frequencies, attenuates lows.

The reason it goes wobbly with all levels up is there's enough vibration then from the weak signal to get the dry joint intermittently making contact -- so the sound comes and goes, distorting badly.

If you've got a long speaker cable, you could see if it does the same with the cab far away from the amp. If the sound remains quiet and gutless with the vibration source removed, a dry joint is probably it.

I can't say 100% it's that, but if so it's an easy fix if you can find the offending joint.

Good luck, hope you get it fixed.