ENGL SAVAGE TIPS

I've played one once, through an Engl Pro cab. Honestly, just start with your prefered channel with all EQ at 12o'clock and gain to taste, then fiddle from there. I left it like that and still got a really clear and balanced tone.

I played a Savage as my main amp for 10+ years. I agree with Nebulous - with this amp you can really do well with the "all knobs at 12 o clock and then adjust from there" strategy.

For what it's worth in my death metal band (tuned to C) I played this amp mostly on CH4 with the following settings:
Preamp:
Gain & Lead between 12 and 1 o clock (depending on pickups etc.)
Bass 11 o clock
Mid 11 o clock (I don't like über scooped sounds)
Treble at around 1 o clock
Power amp:
Presence at Noon, depth boost engaged

In my punk/hardcore band (tuned to D) I played similar settings except that sometimes I disengaged the contour button (which adds a shit ton of mids) and then dialed back the mids to about 9 o clock and added a bit of bass and treble.

I always found the clean channel super easy to dial in but can't remember my settings there... probably close to "everything at noon". Never used the crunch channel(s) so can't help you there either.

Lastly I do wanna say though I never liked using a Tube Screamer with the high gain channels on this amp. The amp is tight enough by itself in my opinion.

All in all have fun with it, it's an amazing amp. I sold it two weeks ago to get something else and already kind of miss it... ah well. :erk::lol:

i like bass 7, mid 3, treble 6, presence 5. i play a pretty dark guitar though (SG) so you may need to adjust for whatever you are using. if you are using the lead channel remember that the gain on channel 3 has a big effect on the sound. mostly i like both at around 5, but with some guitars it sounds cool to crank the channel 3 gain to 10 and leave the channel 4 at 5.

like others said, it really does sound very nice with all the knobs at 5. it shouldnt be too hard to get a sound you like from there. oh and NO TS. it is plenty tight without it.