What Engl to buy

^^ I have heard it live a couple times, its either most scatterbrained guitarists lack of the ability to tell whether their tone is shit but every time I hear one its a muddy mess of sharp shrilly ear piercing mids.

http://rocksolidamps.com/index.php?contain=playlist&mid=155#

Look for the Chris Broderick clips.

How does that sound bad at all?

I'm starting to think a good percentage of people bashing the amp are bandwagon hoppers :|

he blended an Uberschall with that recording. Also its not just a home studio recording, that's a full blown final product on an album and to that standard you could get a JCM800 to sound pretty ballsy in a setting like that.

Not a good way to judge the tone of an amp.

I'd say the powerball can work with the right type of guitarist (tight technique), but at the same time, such a guitarist would probably sound just as good or better on many other amps haha.

I've owned both Savage and Invader and they are both killer as fuck to me. The Invader is way more versatile and sounds great, but no other ENGL gets the ripping rhythm tone of the Savage. Check out clips and try em out if you can!

I'm starting to think a good percentage of people bashing the amp are bandwagon hoppers :|
This is a personal opinion Freak44, i dont throw mud on powerball's face but im not prefering it as i do on savage and fireball.

Sorry guys to revive an old thread... But I found this one while doing some searches.

I'm also thinking getting an Engl "something"... Played a Fireball the other day and really loved it.

Right now, I own a Marshall DSL50 half stack. I've been using it live/rehearsal/home for many years. Still really like it and I don't want to part with it. I feel like having an amp with a more modern sound these days.

The Fireball I tried sounded quite good to my ears. Side by side with a 6505+, I prefered the Fireball. :) Going to the Engl web site, I also saw their preamp E530, I wonder how this would sound into the poweramp section of my Marshall (KT77 at the moment). Would be way cheaper than buying a new head.

Or even the Engl Screamer/Thunder. Smaller format and cheaper than the Fireball. But I have not tried those two and none available in my area to check.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.