What Engl to buy

some of them sound REALLY different.
so the question alone shows that you're not really looking for a certain/good sound, but just want to buy an amp cause of the brandname....you'll buy twice (not because engls aren't good, just because you apparently don't really know what you want, so you will probably be disappointed).
How do you know you want an engl if you don't know how they sound?:err:

MY taste:
in this order: Straight (tasty), Blackmore, Savage, Invader (to a degree), new fireball.

and it's fucking equipment..HELL!!!

I think I would buy the Savage. Almost all the clips I've listened out of this amp were really great! My second choice would be the Fireball or Blackmore (though it's not in your list) and last one the Invader. This is my opinion by the clips and not because I've played with any of them...

I recommend you listen to your albums and pay attention to the guitar tones. Make a list of the albums that you really like the guitar tone on. When you have about 10 - 15 albums, start searching for information about what amps were used in the album. If you see a trend forming, like all albums have a 5150, Rectifier, some Marshall, or whatever, then go out to some guitar store, or some friend/friend of a friend that has the amp and start testing and see if you like it.

Also remember that the cabinet affects the tone A LOT. Test different cabs, but usually the safest choices are:

Mesa Boogie 4x12" Rectifier Standard
Marshall 1960A/B (A = slanted, B = straight)
Engl XXL / Engl Vintage

At least the Marshall should be available pretty much everywhere for testing.

I just got a savage and it sounds great but what I can say is that the EQ is pretty frustrating. the EQ knobs don't do much of anything, and on the lead channel the only tonal variation you can get is the rough/smooth switch and the contour switch. on smooth, it sounds a bit too scooped, and on rough is sounds COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and overly middy. and the EQ knobs do nothing to compensate. I'll definitely be picking up a 10 band EQ for the effects loop. Savage owners feel free to prove me wrong as ive only had my amp for a few days but thats what ive found so far

I just got a savage and it sounds great but what I can say is that the EQ is pretty frustrating. the EQ knobs don't do much of anything, and on the lead channel the only tonal variation you can get is the rough/smooth switch and the contour switch. on smooth, it sounds a bit too scooped, and on rough is sounds COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and overly middy. and the EQ knobs do nothing to compensate. I'll definitely be picking up a 10 band EQ for the effects loop. Savage owners feel free to prove me wrong as ive only had my amp for a few days but thats what ive found so far

Really? That wasn't my experience with my old Savage at all

I would go for the thunder with a tubescreamer.
But all ENGL amps I player missed that special mid-grunch...

I think a ENGL would work great as a second amp with an jcm 800, a recto with mids turned in or a peavey 5150/6505 with mids turned in....

I own a ENGL thunder and played a fireball like 1000 times.
I would buy a peavey 6505

cheers

Thanx for the replies,
How do you know you want an engl if you don't know how they sound?
Well here where i live, i have not may options on buying and listen to any amp i can. Imagine that there is not any store selling Mesa Boogie, every sample i heard is from this forum and you tube. The same happens with Engl except the fireball one that i have heard on an amp shop. Apart of that im more on Mesa but as i said before noone here selling and if i have to order on from here it will cost me the doubles 3000euro the triple rectifier. So i turned to Engl where the cost is lower than Mesa and have more possibities to find on in a reliable price.

Thanx for the replies,

Well here where i live, i have not may options on buying and listen to any amp i can. Imagine that there is not any store selling Mesa Boogie, every sample i heard is from this forum and you tube. The same happens with Engl except the fireball one that i have heard on an amp shop. Apart of that im more on Mesa but as i said before noone here selling and if i have to order on from here it will cost me the doubles 3000euro the triple rectifier. So i turned to Engl where the cost is lower than Mesa and have more possibities to find on in a reliable price.

Ok, I see.
If you're into Mesa I fear you'll be disappointed with an Engl, cause they're quite the opposite of a recto, EXTREMELY different sounding.

Recto: lotsa low mids, little high mids, big (sometimes loose) lowend.
Engl: lotsa high mids, little-no low mids, very tight but smaller low end.

they really sound COMPLETELY different...
that doesn't mean the engls sound shit (well, some of them do ;) ), but they're really not you're kind of amp if you're into Recto.

I know that Rectos are very difficult to get over here in europe (few stores have them and they're extremely overpriced)....if you want brutal aggressive growl and can't buy a recto you should consider getting a 6505, that thing is extremely brutal and has got the thick juicyness a recto has (different sounding of course, but comparable in thickness and brutality).
the Engls are more for very clear, almost sterile sounds...great for very modern thrash in e-tuning or djenty stuff on downtuned 7strings (tight bottom end).

If you're, like you say, a "Mesa guy" you won't like engl too much

Ok, I see.
If you're into Mesa I fear you'll be disappointed with an Engl, cause they're quite the opposite of a recto, EXTREMELY different sounding.

Recto: lotsa low mids, little high mids, big (sometimes loose) lowend.
Engl: lotsa high mids, little-no low mids, very tight but smaller low end.

they really sound COMPLETELY different...
that doesn't mean the engls sound shit (well, some of them do ;) ), but they're really not you're kind of amp if you're into Recto.

I know that Rectos are very difficult to get over here in europe (few stores have them and they're extremely overpriced)....if you want brutal aggressive growl and can't buy a recto you should consider getting a 6505, that thing is extremely brutal and has got the thick juicyness a recto has (different sounding of course, but comparable in thickness and brutality).
the Engls are more for very clear, almost sterile sounds...great for very modern thrash in e-tuning or djenty stuff on downtuned 7strings (tight bottom end).

If you're, like you say, a "Mesa guy" you won't like engl too much

^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty much spot on. I kept running pedals in front of my Dual Recto to get the tight sound of an Engl, so I sold it and bought a Savage. COMPLETELY different amps. For metal, Engl is a great 'all in the box/head' amp, because I now run nothing in front of the head to get the sound (and some even have noise gates so you don't even have to have a pedal for that!)