ENGL Savage

Noumenon

Obsidian Productions
Jul 24, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
www.obsidianproductions.se
Don't know if you listened to the clip I posted in my old thread "Send Me An ENGL", but here is the same clip. Just my 2 tracks of the Savage (rhythm, clean and lead), no bass. I don't really like the sound, might be too much gain. I used the darkane setting that their guitarist posted, but with a TS-9 in front (9, 11, 12). Hints please. Just a demo so far.

Ad Infinitum

PS. Nevermind the sloppy playing, it's just a quick demo for my new project.

Don't know if you listened to the clip I posted in my old thread "Send Me An ENGL", but here is the same clip. Just my 2 tracks of the Savage (rhythm, clean and lead), no bass. I don't really like the sound, might be too much gain. I used the darkane setting that their guitarist posted, but with a TS-9 in front (9, 11, 12). Hints please. Just a demo so far.

Ad Infinitum

PS. Nevermind the sloppy playing, it's just a quick demo for my new project.

Sounds like something is broken. The savage has an input gain knob on every channel. Sounds like you have too much input gain, try lowering it....alot.
Edit: Btw I saw that you have a pedal in front of it, that might be it. Just remove the pedal, the ENGL is not a rectifier, It doesn't need any pedals to sound good.

Sounds like something is broken. The savage has an input gain knob on every channel. Sounds like you have too much input gain, try lowering it....alot.
Edit: Btw I saw that you have a pedal in front of it, that might be it. Just remove the pedal, the ENGL is not a rectifier, It doesn't need any pedals to sound good.

+1: less gain + no pedal

There is some fizzyness in the top end that I don't like very much.
I own a savage (60W) and I hear some fizzy too...I use the hi range suppressor at 0 or a little more to cut some hi-end.

Definetly sounds better but still there is something that is not right. Are you using some ultra-high-gain pickups or something. There is an overload every time you hit the strings hard. Maybe there is something wrong with it, I't shouldn't happen when the input gain is 12 o clock. Post your settings of the ENGL please.

Meh, just tested one thing. I put the lead gain on 12.00 and backed down crunch 2 gain to zero, then raised it until I got a decent sound, I've got it at 9.00 now. I read in the manual that crunch 2 gain is actually input sensitivity, that took away some of the harshness. Didn't have time to record it though, have to sleep now. But I'll re-record it all tomorrow.

So, I guess that my EMGs where a bit to hot, considering that the settings I used was "made" for guitars with passive pickups.

So, I guess that my EMGs where a bit to hot, considering that the settings I used was "made" for guitars with passive pickups.

Dude! You even had a tubescreamer in front of it :lol: I'm suspecting that you should pull the input gain down even more, and pull the lead gain up!
Can you post the guitar without impulses as well? If you have the equipment, can you make a reamp track of the guitar without the ENGL? I have an ENGL in the studio but I don't have reamping gear, I wan't to try something ;)