engl

panzerfaust666

German Asshole
Feb 24, 2007
Kelowna,B.C. Canada
I have a chance to try out alot of engls. I have a choice between: E670 special edition head, ritchie blackmore head,powerball, invader and fireball.
What is or are there best ampifiers in your opinion?

They are ALL good.

I owned a Powerball and it sounded great. Now I'm running an E530 preamp into a VHT 2/90/2 power amp. The tone is excellent. I'm told it would most closely resemble a Savage 120.

a good comparison of the powerball vs. the fireball is basically, the powerball has many more features and more power. however, due to lack of features, the fireball became more natural sounding

I own the ENGL Powerball and I'm very pleased with it, I've only tested the Savage 120 but that one is awesome too, so I can recommend any of these two.

Hi,

I have a ENGL Savage 120 and it's an excellent amp, no doubt about it. But now I'm looking how to change the sound, probably by changing the tubes. But I really know it well, that's why I'm not so optimist. But it's excellent, and very versatile.

For me, it sounds thrash metal, "old school", and very aggressive.

The other guitarist of my band uses a powerball and I prefer it, it's more death metal, but not precise enought, sometimes.

ENGL amps are very good but they dont' sound allways that good on stage in the mix, with a mic. Well, it depends... I saw The Haunted with 2 powerballs and the sound was huge.

I tried the Überschall, and I've been very impressed, but too expensive! And I don't know how it sounds with a band.

Take a look to the VHT, they are also very good.

And for my part, I don't really like Mesa, but I had a "not very good" experience.

I am an old timer, began playing in 1976, when Sabbath was metal. I can't believe the amount of modeling gear being used, perhaps I am that old. my rig is a Lee Jackson xls, if I need processing its through an old zoom 9030 studio half space. on the floor besides the zooms midi pedal I use a Lee Jackson active gain pedal(tube screamer on steroids)there is enough gain there to shred anything. to record I can line out into the zoom and run through a speaker emulator for a decent sound in situations where putting a mic on the amp isn't practical. My suggestion is to find an amp that can get the gain for you, My guitar is an old Firebrand with T tops, there is enough active eq between the gain pedal and the amp to make active and piezo's overkill. a good amp to start shredding with is the old Pevey triumph series, it was the first production hot rodded tube amp, and it has more gain than anything you will pick up stock or boutique, with a decent cabinet they will go with anything and burn anything digital. remember that old tube gear is what your pods are modeling, and there is nothing like the original sound.