Enslaved: "Vertebrae" due in September

I hate when albums start off great and then get worse in quality towards the end

But this is the complete opposite...sort of

The album starts off pretty good but ends amazing

My favorites so far (only 2 listen) are Ground, New Dawn, Reflection, and The Watcher.

I loved the old-school Ulver-esque intro to New Dawn....that song rules....and I love how they are using more clean vocals now. They sound great.

And with Enslaved, they always get better with each listen so I'm sure I'll like it even more after hearing it over and over again. :headbang:

... Isa, and Vertebrae are all good releases (and Monumension is downright fucking killer)- they just aren't black metal any more...

I think their musical attitude is very much so, but the output itself isn't so much. For me they are becoming undefinable, and personally I think that's cool.

At least they're not doing some kind of pathetic crap like saying "My Skin Is Cold" :erk:

The more I listen to Vertebrae the more I come to this conclusion: imo, Vertebrae is Enslaved's SSOASS (yes, I know I'll get flamed for this). Honestly, I think it's their best and most complex output of their careers. It shows them raised to another level, and quite ahead of other bands (which, imo, they have been for a long time anyway).

The album is very mature. The ideas in it are executed very well, and each member has a more skilled contribution than we've seen in the past. Is it perfect? Hmm, I don't know about that, but FUCK is it a solid piece of work. Outstanding.

Never understood how people can genuinely feel like that about bands, seems so pathetic really.

Well, why do you say that? Some reasons would be helpful...

As for me, I think Enslaved have changed dramatically since their early days. They are a completely different band in my eyes.

It would be nice to see bands, when they have clearly changed direction both musically and ideologically, seperate their past with their current music.

Most bands that have been active for a long time, change over time. Call it maturation, growth, evolution, whatever you may. As a creative entity, you are always trying different things and explore new territory in order to avoid stagnation. What someone tends to prefer over the other, is, obviously, a matter of opinion/preference. If you dislike what they are doing now, then don't listen to it. Keep listening to their earlier works. At least they created something that you enjoyed in the first place.

More bands should play what they want with people's opinions being just a secondary factor, whether it be positive or negative. If it's positive, then it's just an added bonus.

Just my .02. Personally, I enjoy most of Enslaved's work and embrace their newer sound. Below The Lights is my personal favorite.

Well if its leaked, I'm gonna probably snag it some time soon but that said, I will buy it if its top notch and such.

They shouldn't change their name; they should just stop making albums. The last thing the world needs is more useless pieces of plastic from washed-up Norwegian bands who hit their peak well over a decade ago.

I just downloaded it. This definitely sounds like the most progressive album they've ever came up with. I couldn't get into it from the first few listens, having been someone who never really gotten into Ruun or Isa, but now i think a few of the songs on this album are starting to grow on me.