Epica + Kamelot in IL 9/30- who's going?

rockyracoon said:
I've been to plenty of shows at The Vic, and its a perfectly acceptable venue. In fact I was there last week for DF and the sound was fine. Comparing it or any other Chicago venue to HoB is pointless for obvious reasons.
Okay I admit it... I AM Bob Dole. And Bob Dole loves Prog Metal. Don't tell anyone.

So for what obvious reasons are you referring to? Why can't I compare Chicago venues? I've seen plenty of shows at all of them and I know what my experiences are for quality sound. There's certainly a pattern. I'd rank them this way...

1.) House of Blues
2.) Double Door
3.) The Riviera
4.) The Metro
5.) There's one very nice looking venu I've only seen one show at (DT/QR/Fates that I can't remember the name of)... sound was ass though.

6.) The Vic

Tweeter Center never sounds good only because it is too huge. Nevermore, for example, were inaudible on Gigantour. All State Arena is pretty decent too... but I'm not comparing those as they are comparing apples to oranges.

Another honorable mention goes to JJ Kelley's which is actually my favorite place to see a show. I didn't think it was fair to compare that awesome place to mid sized venues though.

The Michael

:lol: Your #5 would be the Aragon BRAWLROOM!!!
Man, my earliest metal memories go back to that place in the 80's.
Saw some amazing shows there like Helloween (w/Kiske), King Diamond with Flotsam and Jetsam, Megadeth w/ Warlock and Sanctuary (Take that you NEVERHEADS!), and Slayer w/ Danzig and Trouble, to name a few.

Oh, and the sound there does indeed suck!!!

I agree with your list, except I would place the Metro before the Riviera.

Nothing beats the House of Blues in terms of sound and visibility.

Michael TEOF said:
So for what obvious reasons are you referring to? Why can't I compare Chicago venues? I've seen plenty of shows at all of them and I know what my experiences are for quality sound. There's certainly a pattern. I'd rank them this way...

I meant its obvious that HoB is the superior venue in Chicago. So, when I think about comparing other Chicago venues I just omit HoB because it's in a class of its own in virtually every dept. I like Metro, The Vic, The Riv, and that might be it. Aragon sucks cuz it takes almost an hour to get out of the building. Allstate is nice for a midsize arena.

Now in regards to the Pearl Room. Only been there once, but I don't even remember there being a curtain on the stage. The sound was decent but it was just an acoustic show I saw so it could be better/worse tommorow.

Really looking forward to this show! I've been listening to Epica nonstop since ProgPower too so I'm really looking forward to hearing them as well as Kamelot. Anyone know how many songs Epica has been playing on this tour? Also, has anyone ever heard a metal concert at the Pearl Room (just curious how the sound compares to the other venues). See you there Dusro and Rocky. T minus 1 day.

Perhaps The Riviera just holds a special place in my heart... it was my first Dream Theater concert. I saw them in 1999 and next to the first time I saw Rush in 1997 (which holds a very dear place in my heart) that was probably the most excited I'll ever be for a show.

That all said, The House of Blues kicks its ass. Long live HoB!

The Michael

I'll be at Epica/Kamelot in San Francisco on the 8th!
At the Pound... Woof Wooof!!!

You know after I saw Epica at Progpower I Kamelot too....:lol: :lol: :lol: :headbang:

For what its worth the opening bands for this show are local but they're in the same genre as the headliners rather than Grigori 3 / Sonata Arctica.

My band goes on first Mindwarp Chamber (see sig) we're Prog/Power/Melodic I think we kinda hit all the aspects of metal that PP fans are into. We're playing for 30 min (4 songs) and then Sacred Dawn is playing, they're Prog Metal their guitarist shreds. I think they'll have the same time frame as us. The venue is going to provide their own people for setup / breakdowns so the time between bands should be short.

If anyone is interested after we're done playing hit me up for a 2 song demo (same songs that are on our myspace).

ed

Michael TEOF said:
Don't worry Yippee, I was still planning on holding hands with you during the ballads.

The Michael

To hell with you. What am I? Your second choice?

IMO, The Metro SUCKS! About 1/2 the time I've seen a show there, they start it 1/2 hour before the time listed on the tickets. I missed Jag Panzer that way. Then they pulled the plug on Iced Earth while they were playing.

shreddy said:
For what its worth the opening bands for this show are local but they're in the same genre as the headliners rather than Grigori 3 / Sonata Arctica.

My band goes on first Mindwarp Chamber (see sig) we're Prog/Power/Melodic I think we kinda hit all the aspects of metal that PP fans are into. We're playing for 30 min (4 songs) and then Sacred Dawn is playing, they're Prog Metal their guitarist shreds. I think they'll have the same time frame as us. The venue is going to provide their own people for setup / breakdowns so the time between bands should be short.

If anyone is interested after we're done playing hit me up for a 2 song demo (same songs that are on our myspace).

ed

Checked out the samples on myspace and the songs kick ass. I'll make sure to make it down in time for your set.

Yippee38 said:
IMO, The Metro SUCKS! About 1/2 the time I've seen a show there, they start it 1/2 hour before the time listed on the tickets. I missed Jag Panzer that way. Then they pulled the plug on Iced Earth while they were playing.

You make a great point. Metro DOES drop the ball with times. I drove 4hrs home from school to catch Evergrey a few yrs back and missed them entirely because they went on like 2hrs early.

rockyracoon said:
You make a great point. Metro DOES drop the ball with times. I drove 4hrs home from school to catch Evergrey a few yrs back and missed them entirely because they went on like 2hrs early.

I remember walking into the doors of the Metro that night hearing the words "We are all apart of ........ THE MASTERPLAN. (Tom then goes on to say) Thank you everyone for coming out..." I was so pissed. At least I caught the last 10 seconds of the Masterplan I guess.

rockyracoon said:

Was that the Children of Bodom/Iced Earth show? I know I remember missing Evergrey at some point because they started early and it pissed me off. At least that gap was filled earlier this month when I got to see them rape everything in their path at progpower:headbang:

StewiesSexyParties said:
Was that the Children of Bodom/Iced Earth show? I know I remember missing Evergrey at some point because they started early and it pissed me off. At least that gap was filled earlier this month when I got to see them rape everything in their path at progpower:headbang:

Indeed it was. Complete garbage, but typical of the Metro. I've got to assume there were quite a few besides us who got screwed.

Whats with the Metro?

Back in the day all the killer bands of their time used to come through there, Primus, FTM, Bad Brains, Merciful Fate, etc.. Now it seems like there is a only 3-5 metal shows there a year. Its not even like I see big name acts (non metal) come through there anymore. I dont get it.

You cant blame the Metro 100 percent on ths Iced Earth mess up. Thank God I ony live a 10 minute walk to the Metro so I as always get to shows early. When I got there I thought I would be in line for an hour but the doors were open and I walked in and literally Evergrey came on. I heard from someone who worked there them telling someone that Iced Earth wanted a full hour and a half to play thus moving the start time of the show earlier. People tend to forget in Chicago at 10 the curfew hits and no matter what all ages show you are at...it ends at 10. Like when Helloween was playing the Vic and they basically got the plug pulled. So you would think that the Metro would have been better prepared for this show starting early???? Well no! they dont care if you miss a band. It is all about selling drinks and stuff. Basically my way of thinking is this....if there is a band playing and you like them, and they are playing first....get there early. I would rather wait an hour or so to see them than to miss them.

Diabolik said:
So you would think that the Metro would have been better prepared for this show starting early???? Well no! they dont care if you miss a band. It is all about selling drinks and stuff. Basically my way of thinking is this....if there is a band playing and you like them, and they are playing first....get there early. I would rather wait an hour or so to see them than to miss them.

I agree that Metro could care less, no doubt about that once they get your money. And I understand getting there early, which I typically like to do also.

But here's my way of thinking: If you advertise a show with certain acts and specific start times and you don't deliver, then be prepared to addminister refunds. I had zero interest in seeing IE that night, so I was not happy.

I believe there is a fairly large window of opportunity in Chicago for someone(s) with the proper financial backing to come in and establish a premier small-midsize concert venue. As of now, HoB is the closest thing to perfection. I'd be looking for a venue to produce the following:

1. Routinely bring in desireable acts/tours.
2. Above average sound on a consistent basis.
3. Decent drinks/food at prices that won't be considered rape.
4. Cleanliness, within reason of course.
5. Adequate parking.
6. Security that arent wannabe cops with hard ons.

The list could go on, but you get my point. As of now, I see HoB as the only Chicago venue who does all of these on even a semi-consistent basis. Why is that? Why can't this be fixed in such a large metropolitan area? I've been to venues in much smaller cities that blow away the vas majority of Chicago venues. It's nice that MOST metal bands actuall do stop in Chicago, but it would be nice to have more acceptable venues to accomodate them.

I'm glad this show is out in the burbs and I honestly wish more of them would play out this way. The city is certainly a shorter drive for me than Mokena but I'd rather drive a little farther and not have to deal with parking, city traffic ect...although parking at the HOB and the Vic is a breeze and pretty reasonable....

As far as the openers, get there early to see both of them. You guys won't be let down, they fit perfect on this bill and are probably a couple of the best metal acts Chicago has to offer right now along with Ion Vein and Twelfth Gate (speaking of which Scott now sings in Mindwarp Chamber).

I had a scenic flight this afternoon. The guy I was taking showed up a friggin' hour late. Now we may miss the first band. I'm chugging a drink (2) waiting for Yardley to get back from the bank, then we hit the road. See you there!