Epica show last night proved why Amanda is the coach and Simone is the student!

In case anyone cares and since someone wrongly speculated on whos "girlfriend" simone is, Simone is engaged to Oliver, the new keyboard player for Kamelot.

Certainly. However, what I see happening is that pretty much *everybody* who was an Epica fan was worshipping Simone... she had a perfect voice, and could basically do no wrong. Now, after Amanda's performances with the band, suddenly Simone is frequently off-key, and very inexperienced as a vocalist, and it's obvious why "one is the teacher and one is the student".

I suppose I just shouldn't have said anything.

Well, I have to add to my comment a few posts ago that I've seen Epica more in their beginning days. First time I saw them was on the first Metal Female Voices Fest, that must have been in october 2003 or something. I saw them a few times afterwards (mainly during 2004/2005) but I lost my interest in their gigs because Simone's singing was often mediocre. So I just kept them as a band to listen to on CD but not worth going to gigs. But it seems like her singing has become much better the previous years.

I totally agree regarding the X-factor (tonal quality) in Simone's voice. Her strength is the mezo-soprano portion of her range, and despite the fact that others have a broader range with more power at this time in Simone's development, I haven't heard the degree of delicate richness in their voices compared to Simone. I do have the 2 Meter Sessies DVD, and Simone's live studio performance on that DVD is really something special. Simone might not be the perfect technical singer, but I don't want her to be. When she starts to sound 100% textbook correct according to opera standards, she will sound like all the other opera singers trying to technically replicate a textbook of ideals for the classics should be sung.

Certainly. However, what I see happening is that pretty much *everybody* who was an Epica fan was worshipping Simone... she had a perfect voice, and could basically do no wrong. Now, after Amanda's performances with the band, suddenly Simone is frequently off-key, and very inexperienced as a vocalist, and it's obvious why "one is the teacher and one is the student".

I suppose I just shouldn't have said anything.

I totally disagree... She's always been criticized, man! always! I've seen her being questioned a bunch of times...people saying that she's on the band just because she's hot, etc...

I totally disagree... She's always been criticized, man! always! I've seen her being questioned a bunch of times...people saying that she's on the band just because she's hot, etc...

I think there's a mix of people who think she's awesome and others who criticize. Just sometimes, one group is more vocal than the others. I personally don't mind her vocals though she's far from perfect. It's the generic as hell guitars and what not I can't stand and I've mentioned this several times. However, I could never stand the people saying she should be the new Nightwish front woman. Her voice definitely isn't that developed. I don't mind Anette simply because I'd glad they went with a different style vocalist than a poor man's Tarja (and that's not only directed at Simone) to appease fans.

Well.......... she *IS* hot... ;)

Maybe I thought what I thought because the only place I've ever really seen Epica discussed is on this forum -- and let's face it, most people on this board don't like to openly disagree with the vocal majority, because when they do, they usually get flamed for it. Shall I remind the general populace of some of my past opinions regarding Stride, Circus Maximus, Adagio (pre-Dominate), and Pagan's Mind (pre-PPUSA VIII)?

So, maybe the people on here who INITIALLY thought Simone wasn't a perfect vocalist simply felt uncomfortable saying so on this forum until recently. If so, then I withdraw my accusation.

When I saw Epica a few weeks ago, I said to Met-Al during the show "Wow, Amanda is better than Simone." Now mind you, I have always been jealous of Simone's voice. When she was 18, she was a talented singer. When I was 18 I was nowhere near that level. I'm 25, and Simone can still out-sing me.

But I still found that Amanda was a better singer. She had the vocal range, but she also had a greater range of skill. She often switched seamlessly between operatic and rock vocals. As I understand it, this is what Simone was going for on The Divine Conspiracy (which I noticed no difference in her singing on the album.) But I can't say I've ever thought Simone was off-key or a bad singer. Despite the fact that I realize Amanda Somerville is a better singer, that doesn't make me like Simone's voice any less. I'd STILL kill to sing like her.

Really people, chill out. :p

IMO, Floor Jansen has the strongest and most versatile of any female voice in metal today. She'd be my #1 draft pick if I was putting together a female fronted band.

IMO, Floor Jansen has the strongest and most versatile of any female voice in metal today. She'd be my #1 draft pick if I was putting together a female fronted band.

I like her sister Irene's voice a lot......especially when she sings in Ayreon's The Human Equation

She should be in a band.

I didn;t think the vocalist last night was all that great and Epica's performance was NO WAY on par with their PP performance.

OK I was hoping someone would start a thread about this. I have to agree with Venom here. The Epica PP set was amazing to me. I wish to take nothing away from Amanda as she is a real pro with a great voice, however I have to say that I was very disappointed with Epica's set with sym X. I personnally think it was a huge mistake to tour without Simmone. I'm sorry but as far as I'm concerned the band that I saw was not Epica. Even though Amanda in a lot of ways has a better voice and is more polished then Simmone, for me the magic was gone. There is something that Simmone brings to the table that Amanda can never reproduce. Once again not taking anything away from Amanda's talent, but for me it just didn't work...at all. I know what you're thinking, it is absolutely NOT about the look factor. I was accused in another discussion about this; that the only reason i feel this way is becasue I was comparing Amanda's and Simmone's looks. Please don't think that I am this shallow. It is 100% not about the looks. Like I said before, without Simmone, the magic for me was gone. Sorry but I have to say it. It just didn't work for me.

I personnally think it was a huge mistake to tour without Simmone.

It was either a tour without Simone, or no tour at all. So IMO, they made the right choice. They chose an amazing singer who did a very good job.

And I am not saying that because of personal reasons ;-)

She was in a band that really didn't do much. And then she pretty much retired from the business or something.

Oh that sucks.......what band was it?

But yeah out of the few female-fronted bands I know, After Forever is my favorite (clean-singing wise)

It was either a tour without Simone, or no tour at all. So IMO, they made the right choice. They chose an amazing singer who did a very good job.

And I am not saying that because of personal reasons ;-)

oooooooooooooooohhhh... does someone have a *crush*??? :lol:

Ditto that!
I was convinced of this opinion before their set at PPUSA VIII had even drawn to a close. She is like money in the bank!:kickass: