Epica "The Divine Conspiracy"

sinerchris

Everythin is never enough
Jan 7, 2002
Back in Flushing, NY for good!
ok, seeing as they performed at PP last year...I need to sound off on this new one. And I'd like to hear your opinions.

First of all...Epica is a good band. Even if you're not into their style...they create good quality music that's about as diverse as it gets for metal's sake.
Any way...I'm a big fan of their previous albums (even "The Score" is pretty neat)...but I'm lost with this new one. Lost.

The only tracks that grab me are "Menace of Vanity" and "Never Enough". I'm very puzzled by the opening track. It seems imo to go nowhere.

The artwork is pretty cool - typical Epica I suppose, but very nice overall.

I'm just not getting the vibe on this album, save 2 or 3 songs.

Thoughts anyone? :erk:

I thought it was a great album. Can't wait to catch them 3 times in this upcoming tour. I think this album is heavier and better written. More proggy almost in a way.

Give it a second chance. =) Maybe it'll grow on you!

AngraRULES, I agree it is more progressive. Perhaps progressive is not the element of Epica that got me into them in the first place...maybe that's why I'm ? with this one.

I'm seeing them Sep 9 in NY..wouldn't miss it.

AngraRULES, I agree it is more progressive. Perhaps progressive is not the element of Epica that got me into them in the first place...maybe that's why I'm ? with this one.

I'm seeing them Sep 9 in NY..wouldn't miss it.

Look forward to meet you there. It should be a very good show.

I enjoy this album. Definitely a bit more progressive which is fine, as long as they don't get crazy. I'm guessing by the time Epica hits a city near you, many people will have warmed up to this gem.

I'm really enjoying it. At first I wasn't too sure, but at this point it's my favorite from them. I don't really have a favorite yet from it, but Fools of Damnation and Beyond Belief are making their way there. I haven't gotten into the title track yet though.

I'll be at the Hartford show, and possibly the Poughkeepsie one if a friend of mine wants to go to both.

I was in the same boat and didnt really care for the disc compared to CtO but after some more plays its really grown on me. I like Never Enough not my favorite on the disc but still good, the video meh... The song that I really didnt care for off the bat is one of my favorites now Chasing the Dragon, that song give me chills now when I listen to it.

The opening song, Menace of Vanity and Chasing the Dragons are some of my favorites, too. I like the whole album! Never Enough grew on me because when I first heard it, wasn't really that crazy about it. Epica are too good. Ever since the begining.

As a contrasting point: I really don't like Epica's previous work much. I enjoyed them live, but the albums, frankly, bored me.

I find myself listening to the new one a fair amount, and enjoying it - it seems more "metal" and less "gothic" to me, and more aggressive. I bought it, and I suspect it *won't* get traded, unlike their previous work.

So far it's in my top 5 albums of the year. Consign to Oblivion disapointed me a bit in that it was lacking agressiveness...but this one is quite heavy and epic, and I've always enjoyed Mark's growls. Fools Of Damnation is just awesome, the eastern melodies, and that instrumental section is :kickass:

I am also in the same boat as the rest of the "it is awesome" crowd. I really enjoyed it. At first, when I heard Epica, I was like "ah, okay". I've seen them three times already and I have enjoyed them everytime (not only that, they are really cool to just hang out with as well. The last time they were at Jaxx, they even remembered me from when I saw them with Kamelot right after getting back from ProgPower).

I really like their latest album myself. Does seem to be a bit heavier and more aggressive, with some really neat progressive elements. I guess this is another one of those that people either like or don't like. It does seem to take a couple of listens to really start to get into it. Of course, I see they will be playing at Jaxx again in the spring time, so of course, I am going to be there.

I think they need to work on making songs. A lot of the tracks seem drawn out and directionless. However, I absolutely love the sound and the elements they use. Hopefully they'll have a full-time drummer involved in the song writing process for the next album. I suspect the drums could have been a bit better if a creatively-minded drummer were involved from the start. The opening sequence is really awesome, IMO.... until Never Enough plops in and stinks up the joint. Totally out of place and cheezy.