Nivan Sharma

Apr 20, 2019
so I'm completely new and was wondering if anyone had any tips for EQing Metal Guitars and what your approach is. Thanks :)

Hi, well it totally depends.
Do you mean the EQ of your amp or recorded guitar tracks?
When it comes to recorded guitar tracks, it actually really depends on the recordings itself.
First of all you can always apply some hi pass and low pass (taking out everything below let's say +/-100 hz and everything above +/-8800 hz)
Then you can listen to how it sounds, does it sound too dark/warm? then you can eq out some lower range for example around the 400-500 hz range. Does it sound too bright? Experiment with getting some frequencies lowered between 3000-6000 hz.
There actually is no wrong or right way, because every guitar track is totally different.
The most important is to actually make sure the recordings itself are already as good as possible, so you only need to apply small amounts of eq.

I'm favouring dynamic eq for guitars at the moment, especially metal guitar.
I would usually notch out muddy,resonant or harsh frequencies, this approach does work but with 'overpowering chug'. I found notching out the offending frequencies could leave the track a bit thin when not chugging. Dynamic eq allows you to set the frequency like a compresser so it can be controlled rather than subtracted. There are plugins like soothe that are really useful.

i had this problem last week and bought this andy james preset pack which is fantastic. its made by STL tones and about 100 bucks but its worth it to me since i would still be unable to pick a tone on guitar rig6. too many options means ill always be thinking what if theres something better. the pack i got has 2 high gain amp sims(5150/6505) and one ac30 clone

Really depends on the source, honestly.
One thing I've REALLY learned is if its a good recording, very basic high/low filters suffice.
The more you do to guitar tones the more it starts sounding weird.