EQ on channel vs EQ on group

Faded

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2007
I'm not sure if it's my imagination or is there an actual difference when EQing for example guitars or overheads, the same process sounds a bit different when doing it on the L/R channels than doing it on a group.

It sounds usually like EQing the channel is a bit cleaner/tighter than doing it to a group.. like in a group it encounters with some phase issues or something of that sort.

Now, no doubt i wouldn't be asking this about compression because 2 sources with different transients and timing will affect a compressor differently.
But isn't a stereo EQ is processing the left and right channel separately, just like 2 separate mono eqs on different channels?

Any explanations or should I switch to different drugs? :loco:

Shouldn't make any difference as far as I know. I always eq guitars on the group because it saves doing everything twice and you can audition the effect of the eq across all the guitars instead of having to do it one track at a time.

Well...

So I did an A/B test with 2 different plugins...
printed the results, and flipped the phase.
complete cancellation, no sound came out.

Should have thought about it before writing this thread.

Guess it really is time to switch to different drugs after all. :)

99% of EQs simply do two mono EQs with the same settings on L/R when in stereo track. But there are some EQ that bring in some analog/saturation stuff that may cause some channel interaction. For example ThrillseekerXTC from Variety of Sound has a "mojo" setting that according to the manual brings in some stereo crosstalk.