EQ'ing multiple amps for recording

Oct 15, 2007
Dover, Fl
myspace.com
On my bands upcoming EP we were going to record using three amps simultaneously, Framus Cobra, Madison Divinity, and a Peavey 6505, with Vader cabs. It was my understanding that when using multiple amps like this it's better to have different ranges for the amps. Any suggestions on how we should set the three?

Er, make them all sound good together?

IMO, you'd possibly get a better texture and feel from using them seperately. I'm understanding "simultaneously" to mean you will be recording 1 take on 3 tracks through the 3 amps, correct?

When I layer amps, I just set them to where I think they mesh together. I've never tried to EQ them differently, personally.

A good example is a recto and a 6505+. the low mid punch of the Recto compliments the high mid grind of the 6505+. Of course you can EQ them to accentuate each aspect, but on their own, EQ'd independently, I feel they mesh well together.

I used a 6505+ and a Divinity to record my guitar tracks on my band's upcoming CD, and they just seemed to "fit" together. I didn't do anything special, really. I did, however, EQ the group mix of both amps.

Framus has the tight low end and smooth highs, the Peavey has the midrange snarl, and Madisons kind of suck (but they do sound ok). So set each amp to complement they're attributes, and blend them. I would recommend using the green channel on the 6505, 'cause the framus will be plenty tight, and so the 6505 doesn't have to be. Plus, it will give more contrast between the 2.

I was about to get one of their endorsement deals (only half off :rolleyes:) when I was in my old band, until i read some reviews and found out that they are very cheaply made. I also read more than once that they are just Marshall TSL copies with cheaper components. But hey, If you like it I'm not gonna rain on your parade. I will say that they can sound pretty good, if dialed in right.

Er, make them all sound good together?

IMO, you'd possibly get a better texture and feel from using them seperately. I'm understanding "simultaneously" to mean you will be recording 1 take on 3 tracks through the 3 amps, correct?

When I layer amps, I just set them to where I think they mesh together. I've never tried to EQ them differently, personally.

A good example is a recto and a 6505+. the low mid punch of the Recto compliments the high mid grind of the 6505+. Of course you can EQ them to accentuate each aspect, but on their own, EQ'd independently, I feel they mesh well together.

I used a 6505+ and a Divinity to record my guitar tracks on my band's upcoming CD, and they just seemed to "fit" together. I didn't do anything special, really. I did, however, EQ the group mix of both amps.

Recording separately would work, if you are recording chords and such with rhythm but when, in my experience, we got into finger work. Any change in the strength that you hit the string makes the recording sound off. So if we get the ground levels right recording at the same time should make the sound so much larger, and tight.

Even on the rhythm tracks we will just duplicate the one track with three amps, and push the second one off by a very small amount and that will give us the fatter sound.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Framus has the tight low end and smooth highs, the Peavey has the midrange snarl, and Madisons kind of suck (but they do sound ok). So set each amp to complement they're attributes, and blend them. I would recommend using the green channel on the 6505, 'cause the framus will be plenty tight, and so the 6505 doesn't have to be. Plus, it will give more contrast between the 2.

Yea, I was considering this setup, originally we had the 6505 set for lows, the Framus Highs, and the Madison mids.

So you think we should cut the Madison altogether?

If you think it sounds good, why not use it.. I never said they sound terrible, they are just unreliable.

If you think it sounds good, why not use it.. I never said they sound terrible, they are just unreliable.

I couldnt have said it better myself, at times it sounds really good, but I dont think I could narrow it down to what it does best.

The thing falls apart, horrifically, I had to replace the power tubes in one week, and since then I have this weird hiss coming from the amp, not from the overdrive.

I was about to get one of their endorsement deals (only half off :rolleyes:) when I was in my old band, until i read some reviews and found out that they are very cheaply made. I also read more than once that they are just Marshall TSL copies with cheaper components. But hey, If you like it I'm not gonna rain on your parade. I will say that they can sound pretty good, if dialed in right.

Meh, don't always believe what you read.

My Divinity is made as well as my 6505+, IMO. That's not a slam on Peavey, but a praise for the Divinity (considering price point). I've seen the build on Engl's and Framus's as well and they are the same if not worse IMO than the Madison (and the Peavey for that matter), and they fetch a high price in the US. I understand that the price is do to importing of the amps, though.

I don't know about the TSL copy thing, either, as I've had a TSL and I don't think they sound the same.

Also, the main dude (JerryP at FJA mods) who clamored against Madison claimed they used electrical tape and whatnot inside the chassis. My opinion was that the head he got in was modded or something.

I've opened up my Divinity when I got it, precisely due to the bad rap they got on Harmony Central.

No tape, no mess, clean in and out.

I do think the boards come from China maybe and then headshells and assembly takes place here.

Regardless, I've had my Divinity for almost a year doing all kinds of shows and it's been rock solid and sounds good to me.

Meh, don't always believe what you read.

My Divinity is made as well as my 6505+, IMO. That's not a slam on Peavey, but a praise for the Divinity (considering price point). I've seen the build on Engl's and Framus's as well and they are the same if not worse IMO than the Madison (and the Peavey for that matter), and they fetch a high price in the US. I understand that the price is do to importing of the amps, though.

I don't know about the TSL copy thing, either, as I've had a TSL and I don't think they sound the same.

Also, the main dude (JerryP at FJA mods) who clamored against Madison claimed they used electrical tape and whatnot inside the chassis. My opinion was that the head he got in was modded or something.

I've opened up my Divinity when I got it, precisely due to the bad rap they got on Harmony Central.

No tape, no mess, clean in and out.

I do think the boards come from China maybe and then headshells and assembly takes place here.

Regardless, I've had my Divinity for almost a year doing all kinds of shows and it's been rock solid and sounds good to me.

Your experience might be different, but when we got our Divinity, we had to completely replace the power tubes, which were JJ Tesla's, which are from my understanding durable tubes. Since then we've had a really bad hum, that isnt from overdriving the amp.

The sound, which is completely preference, is good all around but to me it never seemed very distinct. It is ballsy, but the sound isnt intrinsic. It seems more of a live amp, than a recording amp.

Our Framus, and 6505 have never given us any problems,

But once again it all breaks down to preference.