Great metal amp for recording?

FTR, I know nothing about the Mesa Quad preamps, and no company is infallible IMO (and also, I've never been impressed by anything I've heard from the Mark series amps for rhythm), so I think it's definitely within the realm of possibility that it's just not the right piece of gear for you! (meaning, not your fault :D)

Bro once i get my setup together ill put up some mark 5 clips. that amp smokes bro

Hey, I can't wait man, I love hearing good tones, especially when they can change my mind about an amp!

To me if your 50/50 has died and sounded shit before it did that says to me that the amp might not have been biased properly? Getting the bias right on my DSL50 made a huge difference to the sound. Also the general consensus around here is that a tubescreamer (doesn't matter which one) is necessary in front of a Mesa amp for a decent tight metal tone.

as far as recommendations go it all depends on what tone you're going for, go out and try everything you can at a guitar store, look out for:

Peavey 6505
Peavey Triple XXX / Peavey 3120
Orange Tiny Terror
ENGL Fireball
Krank Rev Jr

Actually, apparently the Mark series don't really benefit from a TS as much, since their tone controls are apparently before the distortion, so you can just turn down the bass (and raise it on the sliding graphic equalizer, which is post-distortion) for the same effect!

I can relate to that. That's the trick to even getting a superb rhythm sound out of the Mark series. Since the tone controls come before the distortion stage, you get a very flabby low end if you have the bass set to anything above 1-2 basically. Keeping the bass at 0 and using the graphic EQ afterwards to get the low-end right is the way to go. I have both a three and two ch Dual Recto and the Mark III blows them away.. at least IMO. :p

Well, I'm not uploading anything out of principle. I've never had a client agree to have their stuff uploaded anywhere for public display before unless they do it themselves. It's the record label who owns the recording 99% of the time too so if you upload anything it's not enough having the permission of the artist.

Not giving away the artist, renaming etc... It's still braking a trust with the client no matter how low key it may be. So... no go! Let's say the Mark 3 sucks major ass and get on with the thread instead...

Well, I'm not uploading anything out of principle. I've never had a client agree to have their stuff uploaded anywhere for public display before unless they do it themselves. It's the record label who owns the recording 99% of the time too so if you upload anything it's not enough having the permission of the artist.

Not giving away the artist, renaming etc... It's still braking a trust with the client no matter how low key it may be. So... no go! Let's say the Mark 3 sucks major ass and get on with the thread instead...

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't suggesting that you should, I was just stating what others do. And yes, you are indeed right and it's not worth the risk of getting your ass sued!
Perhaps you could share some clips which are not copyrighted?

Plec your a sick ass guitarist aswell! throw up some of your chops.

I player 3 different mesas at a studio once.
all with tubescreamer through mesa 4x12
First one dual rec. Sounded OK. Nothing like the mesa sound I wanted
Second tripple rec. Oh my god. This amp sounded like shit, like a hooker screaming for money and heroin.
Last one Single rec. What a great sound!!!!!

The best mesa rec. I ever heard was in cologne. at the MUSIC-STORE-PROFESSIONAL
It was a very old one with a big notice on it:" NOT FOR SALE"
This one smokes everything I heard before.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the only difference between the single, dual and triple recto's is in the power stage, right? So they shouldn't sound any different other than at different levels basically? On the other hand I've heard there's quite a bit of difference between specimens. A known amp modder I get to tweak a lot of my amps said that he could never create a great "standard" amp mod for any type of rectifier because they all sounded so very different to begin with that every rectifier he did needed it's own very special treatment.

Any experiences?

Marcus,

just going back to how you don't really like/have heard nice mesa mark series rhythms, im almost sure that the majority of DTs scenes from a memory utilizes the mark IIc+ in some form, and im almost sure its on 6DOIT on a cpl of tracks (mainly the 2nd cd, but also on blind faith) however thats what ive always thought so i guess i cud be wrong :) i remember seeing that head in countless pics during sessions for those albums/tours!

I&W: Triaxis (or Quad)/2:90. A Zoom "thingy" and a Marshall amp

Awake: Mark IIC+, recto, Triaxis/2:90 and a Mesa Blue angel

ACOS: Pretty much the same gear as Awake. The Zoom "thingy" is back

FII: Mark IIB, Mark IIC+, recto, Heartbreaker etc. (a lot of Mesa amps were used)

SFAM: Mark IIC+, (Mark IV?), recto, Formula preamp

6DOIT: Mark IIC+, recto

TOT: Mesa Roadking

8VA: Mesa Roadking, Mesa Lone star

Thanks for that Mark, though honestly, DT rhythm tones have never really blown me away (but the lead tones, damn :worship: ). Actually, I loved the RH tone on ToT, but as you say, that was a Road King.