First band that aren't "friends". Need help!

Haha.

It's a tube amp.
I'm not too sure of the model though.
I just guessed by pictures. (I'm not a guitarist.)

The RH300 is a solid state amp..
If you are talking about the module based RM100, then you must have shitty tubes, because it f-ing rules!

RM100:
randall-rm100m-guitar-amplifier-590x239.jpg

If its the RH50T you are talking about, im not really choked.. because it probably is the worst sounding amp i have ever played:

zoom_rh50t.jpg

These are the only 2 Randall tube amps ever made so..
(Except for a small series during the early 90's called BMF, that ive never even found a picture of.)

Hmmm.
That is very interesting.

Maybe this is why I can never get a good live sound out of it.

Like I said, I'm not a guitarist, but all my bandmates kept telling me it was a tube head.

Thanks for the clarification!

I wouldn't even bother with the two mic technique. Just put one of your 57s slightly off the center of the cone about an inch from the cloth. Adjust from there.

Good luck with the no click thing.

Why not? If he doesn't like the tone from the 2nd mic, then just mute the channel. I'd rather have it just to see what it sounds like, personally. A 57 and a 609 is a good combination!

I wouldnt use the vavleking man, i recorded my friends band and could not get a good tone with any setting any mic i have and any mic position. Use the recto all the way.

OP: You should be able to get a good tone out of the Valveking or the Rec. I have heard great tones out of a VK. They are very underrated amps imo and are great for metal. 90% of the time, as was already said, right where the cone meets the surround is the sweet spot. 1 inch from the grille.

Why not? If he doesn't like the tone from the 2nd mic, then just mute the channel. I'd rather have it just to see what it sounds like, personally. A 57 and a 609 is a good combination!

OP: You should be able to get a good tone out of the Valveking or the Rec. I have heard great tones out of a VK. They are very underrated amps imo and are great for metal. 90% of the time, as was already said, right where the cone meets the surround is the sweet spot. 1 inch from the grille.

Thank you for your advice and kind words!

I was thinking... If I were to use the 2 mics, that I should use the SM57 directly on the cone, and the 609 in the off-axis position.

Of course, I will try many different combinations with mic placements, etc. But these are my initial thoughts and I'm just getting them out there!

Thank you for your advice and kind words!

I was thinking... If I were to use the 2 mics, that I should use the SM57 directly on the cone, and the 609 in the off-axis position.

Of course, I will try many different combinations with mic placements, etc. But these are my initial thoughts and I'm just getting them out there!

I would do 2 separate speakers right where the where the cone meets the surround, same distance from the speaker, but that's just me. Try both positions if you have the time and see what sounds better to you. Just make sure your mics are in phase.

The RH300 is a solid state amp..
If you are talking about the module based RM100, then you must have shitty tubes, because it f-ing rules!

RM100:
randall-rm100m-guitar-amplifier-590x239.jpg

If its the RH50T you are talking about, im not really choked.. because it probably is the worst sounding amp i have ever played:

zoom_rh50t.jpg

These are the only 2 Randall tube amps ever made so..
(Except for a small series during the early 90's called BMF, that ive never even found a picture of.)

what about the kirk hammett signature amp?

what about the kirk hammett signature amp?

Its the Randall RM100 with slight differences in the power amp(RM100KH).
The cheaper version is Solid State.
Although, now days we have the Nuno Bettencourt King as well(The BMF apparently was a NB signature that never got in to production.).

I had an all tube Randall called a RGT 100 HT

randall.jpg

There was also a head (non-rackmount) version of it.

If possible, Really try to convince them to record to a click track. Also, even though your grabbing what ever gigs you can get, ACT like your busy as hell, show them YOUR in control. Dont want these pricks walking over you :)

In my experience trying to get a band to use a click who doesn't want to can cause more harm then good, especially if the drummer hasn't practiced to one. He will be falling behind trying to hear the click and then speeding back up to catch it. I've learned my lesson after wasting a bunch of studio time thinking the drummer would get it after a few takes.

Just got back from band practice, and his amp IS indeed a tube amp.

The model is Randall RH1500. It says clear as day on the front.

"RH1500
150 Watt Tube/Mosfet Power"

It also says "G3" next to the power button.

I can take pictures if need be.

Just got back from band practice, and his amp IS indeed a tube amp.

The model is Randall RH1500. It says clear as day on the front.

"RH1500
150 Watt Tube/Mosfet Power"

It also says "G3" next to the power button.

I can take pictures if need be.

That's a tube preamp and solid state power amp.

Incorporating a single 12AT7 tube to drive a large MOSFET output circuit, this highly advanced power circuit has a natural compression that clips extremely soft at higher volumes reacting very much like a traditional power tube. The key or secret to this new circuit however, was capturing or emulating the true frequency response curve of a standard power tube that has very unique characteristics to that of solid-state power amp. The Valve-Dynamic circuit not only captures a tube's reactive qualities, but also the warmth, feel, and musical character of a full tube power amp, but with the durability of a 400 watt MOSFET power amplifier.

if they want a rawer sound, my prefered way, and its a ballache.... is to program A LOT of tempo changes. one per section almost to help maintain the feel/vibe of the song but still keep it tight.

This right here. Also if you track a scratch guitar with the drummer in the control room patting his knees getting all the tempos and then just tap tempo them out. That way he'll have a little bit of quick practice and the guide guitar will help keep him in time without the chance of the drummer and guitar player playing of the click together.

I've just had too many problems when tracking without a click that I will try and do it at all cost. You can definitely maintain a sense of "rawness" without compromising timing. In the end tracking to a click always saves me time where as trying to get a really tight performance without the click is always a much bigger hassle.

Oh and use the Recto and a Celestion like someone said. I used a valve king once and ended up having the band come back and track with a Pod that sounded much better.

Track DIs or you will be sorry. That is my only advice. If you've never mic'd up an amp, get someone to reamp it.

On not tracking to a click... track to a click. I don't give a shit how good the band you're working with THINKS they are. You let them fool you into thinking they're going to pull off tracks in perfect time? Yeah okay. Even if they do play relatively well in time and consistently, if you have to edit, you're going to be doing it near blindly since the song will naturally fluxuate. I've tracked bands who played to a click who STILL fluxuated so much that it made me nutty. I've recorded seasoned pros (playing 40+ years) and they STILL manage to get off time a healthy amount. The only time you don't want to track to a click is when you are recording a whole band playing live at the same time. The subtle cues and motions they make when playing together can move the song along and generally yields results that are quite pleasing.

Count how many people in this thread told you track the band to the metronome... that should be enough to convince you to get the band to do it. Use logic with them: "Why do professional bands in pro studios track to a metronome? Do you think that you guys are more experienced than bands who sell thousands of records?"

So what does that mean? :erk:
Haha.

That its a hybrid amp, and almost not that even.
99% of the amps that use only one preamp tube almost never use that tube for distortion, so it still sounds solid state on the rythm/lead channels.
Mosfet = Solid State.

That its a hybrid amp, and almost not that even.
99% of the amps that use only one preamp tube almost never use that tube for distortion, so it still sounds solid state on the rythm/lead channels.
Mosfet = Solid State.

How come I couldn't find any pictures of it when I search for Randall RH1500 on google?

Or anywhere, really. :/