Eric Johnson

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
I'm a long time fan....I just love this clip...a true original.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htobScsOB70&feature=related[/ame]

I first saw him on his earliest Austin City Limit in the late 80's...I was so taken back...at the time he was the first real original player I heard since Uli Jon Roth and Yngwie. I ran out to find "Tones" right away...and did.

Tones & Ah Via Musicom belong in any guitar player's collection.
I have some nice video from that era, and I THINK one of his Austim City Limits shows might be officialy out on DVD... Saw him play in a medium sized bar in Chicago from 3 feet away. He's jaw droppingly good. I did not care for Venus Isle one bit though, unfortunately...

Tones & Ah Via Musicom belong in any guitar player's collection.
I have some nice video from that era, and I THINK one of his Austim City Limits shows might be officialy out on DVD... Saw him play in a medium sized bar in Chicago from 3 feet away. He's jaw droppingly good. I did not care for Venus Isle one bit though, unfortunately...

I didn't like Venus Isle at all either...very disappointing.

I saw him in a small venue, unfortunately it was an off night for him...he just didn't have it that night. I had such great seats too.:cry:

He has one official Austin City Limits DVD when he's wearing a goofy Michael Jackson outfit. The one I saw was earlier than that...I taped it on VHS but since lost the tape.

One of my favorite players. Unfortunately not many of his songs do a too much for me, but his playing on them keeps me coming back every time. He's one of the relatively few people who have found a great balance between chops and taste and posseses both in abundance. Not to mention his tone...

I highly reccomend that everyone check out his stuff with the Electromagnets too. I have their debut (i think they have two recordings available...I'll double check) and it's killer. I don't think certain aspects of his playing were quite as refined at the time (1975-ish I believe), but it's still absolutely killer and the tunes are pretty good too. I would love to hear him play in that kind of setting now and see what kind of killer shit would happen.

I never owned any of his music but had whatever tape had Cliffs of Dover on it borrowed for awhile way way back. I do like his sound.

I didn't like Venus Isle at all either...very disappointing.

I saw him in a small venue, unfortunately it was an off night for him...he just didn't have it that night. I had such great seats too.:cry:

He has one official Austin City Limits DVD when he's wearing a goofy Michael Jackson outfit. The one I saw was earlier than that...I taped it on VHS but since lost the tape.

Then THAT may be the one I have on DVD as well as the "soundcheck" that was not aired. I will look when I get home, and PM you if/when I find it.

I'm a long time fan....I just love this clip...a true original.I first saw him on his earliest Austin City Limit in the late 80's...I was so taken back...at the time he was the first real original player I heard since Uli Jon Roth and Yngwie. I ran out to find "Tones" right away...and did.

Completely agree with you, Michael. My first introduction to him was the soundpage in Guitar Player with Zap - I can't recall when. I too went out with dogged determination to find Tones. Bloody hell, those were the days, eh? haha.

Has anyone ever heard the song Minstrel Gigolo by Christopher Cross? It was from his ST debut released in 1980. Eric Johnson did a guest spot guitar solo on that song. It's still one of my favorite solos ever. If you can find it, check it out. There's actually some guy on Youtube doing the solo.