Favorite Shredder

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
I don't know that I've ever heard anyone overall better than Vinnie Moore...his technique is impeccable, his phrasing and note selection is beautiful, and he never loses feeling for theatrics.

I have a few guitarist I truly admire...Uli Jon Roth, Michael Schenker, Yngwie, Steve Vai, Michael Amott, Steve Morse, Eric Johnson, Gary Moore, Marty Friedman, but Vinnie Moore takes the cake.

Solo artist: Steve Vai
Shredder from a band: John Petrucci

Cant really compare the two as my opinion of Petrucci is inflated by the rest of the members of Dream Theater.

Honourable mentions to: Michael Romeo, Marty, Yngwie and Dime

Van Halen 77-84,greatest rock guitarist for me.
Vinnie Moore,yeah i've got Mind's Eye Time Odyssey and Meltdown,i find him a bit too pattern based but i do prefer him to Malmsteen.For me Marty Friedman is way better,far more expressive with a unique style and sound

stuglue said:
Van Halen 77-84,greatest rock guitarist for me.
Vinnie Moore,yeah i've got Mind's Eye Time Odyssey and Meltdown,i find him a bit too pattern based but i do prefer him to Malmsteen.For me Marty Friedman is way better,far more expressive with a unique style and sound

I think all those great shredders really thrive in a band situation where the solo work enhances the song as opposed to being the complete focus.

I've heard some live stuff by Vinnie Moore where he's not filling every millisecond of the song and he really shines. I think he's matured since those early solo shred releases.

Marty's work on Rust in Peace has it all.

Same for Yngwie. The best stuff he did, IMO, is the 1983 No Parole from Rock n Roll album with Alcatrazz. That is still some of the best guitarwork I have heard. The songs are kinda cheesy, but he makes the album. It's a Japanese import well worth the money. Even the cheesiness grows on you...the songs are catchy and I don't hate Graham Bonnet's vocals

schenkadere said:
I think all those great shredders really thrive in a band situation where the solo work enhances the song as opposed to being the complete focus.

I've heard some live stuff by Vinnie Moore where he's not filling every millisecond of the song and he really shines. I think he's matured since those early solo shred releases.

Marty's work on Rust in Peace has it all.

Same for Yngwie. The best stuff he did, IMO, is the 1983 No Parole from Rock n Roll album with Alcatrazz. That is still some of the best guitarwork I have heard. The songs are kinda cheesy, but he makes the album. It's a Japanese import well worth the money. Even the cheesiness grows on you...the songs are catchy and I don't hate Graham Bonnet's vocals

...and thus, the truth is spoken.:headbang:

I know I will cop a major tongue lashing for this but fuck it. I like Kirk Hammet. There I said it! I know he doesn't have insane chops and most guitarists out there would blow him out of the water technicaly but he just sticks to what he knows but i think he does it well. In terms of writing memorable solos that fit the song perfectly i think his early work is a pretty damn good example of that. Its just basic pentatonic stuff but they are the kind of solos i find myself humming along to more than say any Jeff Loomis stuff.

Saucy_Jack said:
I know I will cop a major tongue lashing for this but fuck it. I like Kirk Hammet. There I said it! I know he doesn't have insane chops and most guitarists out there would blow him out of the water technicaly but he just sticks to what he knows but i think he does it well. In terms of writing memorable solos that fit the song perfectly i think his early work is a pretty damn good example of that. Its just basic pentatonic stuff but they are the kind of solos i find myself humming along to more than say any Jeff Loomis stuff.

I agree that some of his solos (especially from the black album and the previous albums) are memorable and fit the song really well but his "solos" on load and reload are just plain bad. Too much wah for his own good..... having said that kirk is overrated big time :devil:

Others than those already mentioned: Paul Gilbert (Racer X, Mr. Big), Michael Romeo, Chris Broderick (Jag Panzer),
Nuno Bettencourt (on earlier Extreme albums - don't laugh!)...

mentalmeltdown said:
Others than those already mentioned: Paul Gilbert (Racer X, Mr. Big), Michael Romeo, Chris Broderick (Jag Panzer),
Nuno Bettencourt (on earlier Extreme albums - don't laugh!)...

It's no laugh...Nuno was amazing!

Joe Stump is awesome.

Poor Jason Becker suffering from ALS was great.

Michael Baito is tremendous but he sounds sterile and overprocessed.

I really like Michael Amott...he's a very tasteful player. Not a shredder extraordinaire, but just a solid guitarist with great feeling and interesting solos.

schenkadere said:
It's no laugh...Nuno was amazing!

Joe Stump is awesome.

I really like Michael Amott...he's a very tasteful player. Not a shredder extraordinaire, but just a solid guitarist with great feeling and interesting solos.

Joe Stump-His rock star, better than you personality over shadows his abilities. I met him a couple of times when he was with Belladonna and from what I saw that in a live setting he couldnt hold a candle to Spitz, he was sloppy, missed notes, etc and a big DICK

My favs are:

Brett Eriksen/Eric Meyer-Dark Angel
James Murphy
Jim Matheos-Fates Warning
Mille Petrozza-Kreator
Adrian Smith-Iron Maiden
Victor Smolski

schenkadere said:

Jason is my favourite player, he was like an evil twin of Yngwie.

Michael Angelo I can't stand. He is actually making comedy music, he just doesn't realize it.

Amott is great too, I think his style is closer to the rock n' roll guitarists of the seventies than the shredders of the eighties.

Deepest Green said:
Jason is my favourite player, he was like an evil twin of Yngwie.

Michael Angelo I can't stand. He is actually making comedy music, he just doesn't realize it.

Amott is great too, I think his style is closer to the rock n' roll guitarists of the seventies than the shredders of the eighties.

Yeah...Angelo is very goofy...he's got some great technical appeal, but that's about it.

That's why I like Amott...he hasn't completely lost his blues roots. His major influences are Frank Marino and Michael Schenker. I can hear Schenker all over his playing...that'a probably why I like him so much.

To the other guy...Stump may be a dick, but Spitz isn't even in the same league as a player. He must have been drunk or something.:err:

There are a lot of amazing shredders out there now. Guitar technique has been elevated to a new level, but originality has been lost.

Paul Gilbert - fucking superb, never fails to make me grin like a wanking Jap sipping vinegar when I have seen him live. Plays those super-fast alternate picked runs behind his head somewhere, and you think he's going to fuck it up at any moment.......but he doesn't. Blinding!!!!

Michael Schenker - Because.....!

Joe Satriani - For playing "tunes" rather than just shredding.

Zakk Wylde - For being a piss artist.

Gary Holt & Rick Hunolt - Truly Bonded by Blood, a real team.

Soooooooooo many others too.....