Best guitar work on a vocal album

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
These are some of my favorite album/band guitar performances.

Yngwie on Alcatrazz-NoParole Form RocknRoll
Joey Tafolla on Jag Panzer-The Fourth Judgement
Friedman on Megadeth-Rust In Peace
Uli Jon Roth on Electric Sun-Earthquake
Michael Schenker on UFO-Obsession
Gary Moore on Corridors of Power
Michael Romeo on Twilight in Olympus
Henrik Danhage on Evergrey-The Inner Circle
Michael Amott on Arch Enemy-Stigmata

I'm sure there are more...and some non metal things too.

Curious about some of your favorites.

not sure exactly what your looking for here, great guitar work on albums recorded by bands with singers is a tradition that dates back thousands of years to prehistoric times, so there is millions of them.

BUT when I think of great guitarists, slammin' riffs, wild solos accompanied by a great vocalist frontman the first two names that come to mind are Eddie and Sammy... but I could name thousands... millions even

:cool:

I mean particularly stellar guitar work on an album that is a band release, not a solo guitarists effort.

Example...for Friedman...RIP, not Dragon's Kiss.

I disagree about there being millions of them...I mean stand out stuff.

Hmm..

SX - V

Anglagard - Hybris

The Flower Kings - Unfold the Future

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

King Crimson - The Power to Believe

IQ - The Seventh House

Anekdoten - A Time of Day

Opeth - Ghost Reveries

Wobbler - Hinterland

Spock's Beard - Beware of Darkness

Hmm..

SX - V

Anglagard - Hybris

The Flower Kings - Unfold the Future

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

King Crimson - The Power to Believe

IQ - The Seventh House

Anekdoten - A Time of Day

Opeth - Ghost Reveries

Wobbler - Hinterland

Spock's Beard - Beware of Darkness

I don't know most of those bands...who are the guitarists?

That part was having fun but I do believe there are at least hundreds of them, great guitar and vocal work is what rock/metal and blues has always been all about.

edit: not to denote the great work done by bass players and drummers over the years

I don't know most of those bands...who are the guitarists?

The guitarists names may be even less familiar than the bands name.

SX - V

Anglagard - Hybris (Tord Lindman. This is an incredible album! All sung in Swedish though. Barring the first song which is instrumental.)

The Flower Kings - Unfold the Future (Roine Stolt and Hans Frohberg)

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (Steven Wilson)

King Crimson - The Power to Believe (Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew)

IQ - The Seventh House ( Mike Holmes. Neo Prog type music)

Anekdoten - A Time of Day (Nicklas Berg. Nothing flashy, but compositionally it's an incredible album.)

Opeth - Ghost Reveries (Mikael Akerfeldt. Best album yet. Though I think in terms of guitar complexity Still Life may win.)

Wobbler - Hinterland (A bunch of Swedish Guys that I can't remember the names of, but there are loads of people who play acoustic, baritone, nylon strings etc)

Spock's Beard - Beware of Darkness (Neal and Alan Morse)

So...name your favs.

well I did name the first two names that came to mind
but I dont have favorite entire works for guitar purposes really
we already had a great guitar solo thread and I named a few solos there that impacted me. Ive spoke of riffs and grooves that blew me away, but these are all scattered amounst hundreds of different songs by various players

I honestly have no favorite entire pieces of work that fully comply with your question. 5150 & OU812, Bold As Love, LZII or Images and Words probably come the closet due to their personal impact. Ive said it many times, my favorite is who Im listening too at any givin point in time. But this thing your talking about is huge, there is just so many and in so many different styles. Hell I could even name Trowers Bridge of Sighs but its not for solos or extreme guitar work its just for the whole atmosphere of the the thing. I could name Crack the Skys self titled and no one would ever understand that even if they were fimiliar with it. I could say Kansas Leftoverature or Rushs Caress of Steel but theres more than guitar work going on there and little of it is blistering solos. Its just a hard criteria for me to meet.

edit : thus why I said Eddie and Sammy - grooves, riffs, wild solos and balls to the wall red rocker vocals... fun music

^ I don't really understand how you managed to create so much shit over this :lol:

It's really quite simple to name a release from a band that has some of your favourite guitar work on it.

^ I don't really understand how you managed to create so much shit over this :lol:

It's really quite simple to name a release from a band that has some of your favourite guitar work on it.

Actually, if you would check back, you would see that I did just that and stated multiple times that I dont do the favorite thing... because there is alot of damn good work out there. Wasnt trying to touch on anybodys sensitivity but was actually saying. "Man ! Theres alot of damn good work out there."

one more time ? :lol: geeze