ESP LTD EC-1000

sentinel72

May 14, 2009
I am having some issues with this guitar. Anyone else here got one?

The Earvana compensated nut... It seems that my strings are getting caught in this thing far too often. Right now I have Ernie Ball 8's on it. But it was an issue with the GHS Zakk Wylde 10-60's too.

Doesnt stay in tune real well. And when tuning I get the dreaded "ping!" now and then.

I've tried Big Bends Nut Sauce before, didnt seem to help. I may try it again though...

Any ideas here? Are these nuts junk? Is there a better alternative that I can use to this nut and the Big Bends Sauce?

The nut should be fine AFAIK, you can try rubbing pencil lead in the slots as well.

I had an EC-1000 for years before selling it, regretfully. Mine was a 1st run though, Sperzel lockers and a regular graphite nut (maybe Graphtech?), didn't have those issues.

great info Metaltastic, thanks a ton!

I'll try the pencil lead thing and see where that gets me. If I still have trouble I think a new nut is in order. Small price to pay for an improvement in this category!

great info Metaltastic, thanks a ton!

I'll try the pencil lead thing and see where that gets me. If I still have trouble I think a new nut is in order. Small price to pay for an improvement in this category!

Your strings are probably catching on the slots due to their gauge.

I think Earvana states that any gauge will work (don't quote me on this), but when you go up to such a huge gauge I'll bet they can still bind and get caught.

-Joe

Your strings are probably catching on the slots due to their gauge.

Like I said I'm on 8's now. They don't get much smaller than that.

Gauge isnt mattering in my situation.

The new ESP LTD EC-1000 comes with ESP locking tuners...

I've had some tuning issues with mine, but now after some calibration it seems it has become more stable.

I don't know if Sperzel locking tuners are better than the ESP locking tuners, or if they would actually make any difference in this guitar...

Now, I'm curious about that Graph Tech nut... the description seems pretty convincing.

I spoke to a local dealer/tech. They recommended having them take a look at it and they said that they could file it down a bit and fix the hanging up problem.

No harm in trying that I suppose.

If it continues I'll look at a graphtech nut replacement.