ESP VIper 400 or New EMG81 pick up

arcana83

New Metal Member
May 8, 2009
Hi. Ive been on this forums for a few months but this is my first post. Ok im in abit of a dilemma here. I want a good heavy sound and im running a shitty cort kx5 with a seymour duncan SH5 pick up. The sound on this set up is not very ideal and im thinking either to get a LTD viper 400 which is NZD1100 or just swap the pick up for NZD199. What do you guys suggest? will the wood of the guitar affect the sound in a significant way ? ( cort kx5 is basswood, esp is mohagony ) Sorry for the shitty english. M asian. Please do point me to the right direction. Thank you..

Is your Cort Korean? Some of them Korean Corts are actually decent and can stand up to many of the bigger brands. In fact, the Cort factory manufactures guitars for some of the bigger brands. That being said, tho, yes, the wood of the guitar does affect the tone of the guitar in a significant way. The all-mahogany Viper will probably be warmer/fatter sounding comparably if you had the same pickups in both.

Yes shes a korean.. Will the sound be obvious? cuz.. theres a big difference between $1300 ( not $1100! ) and $199.. budget is not really an issue as i will be a slave and finance it.

Well, that depends on you mostly. Some guys notice a BIG difference. Some guys don't. I'm gonna go ahead and say... yes, probably, but that's just my opinion.

Your guitar isn't equipped with a bad pickup, tho. Is the SH-5 the Duncan Custom? What don't you like about that one?

Just seymour duncan sh5. It lacks low end and doesnt pick up harmonic pinch very well..which i find odd. M planning to sell it anyway. served me well enough. Time to upgrade..btw I dont use any amps, just mk3 revalver + impulses. That shouldnt be the reason right? The cort has always been kinda weak even with an amp.

You need a guitar you're going to be happy about playing, my friend. If you like the 400, I say go with that. An uncomfortable guitar with a great pickup is still just an uncomfortable guitar.