EMG81 - Lundgren M6 comparision help

EdwardPayne

May 10, 2006
www.metallfabriken.se
Hi!

On this video clip I'm testing EMG81 and Lundgren M6.

For the moment I prefer the EMG sound so that makes me wonder one thing..

Is this mainly because of the pickups or could this big different also depend on the guitars?

Listen to the chords in the low tones, how the amps are growling more with the EMG, with the Lundgren it feels a little muddy and not as angry. Is there a passive pickup that will do this job better, or is it up to the guitar as well?

EMG - ESP Viper Baritone (tuned Bb).
Lundgren M6 - DEAN USA Z 1000, (not baritone, tuned Bb).

http://youtu.be/yiH56t8EBuk

With the Lundgren, the guitar itself will be more of a factor. With the EMG, not so much. A brighter passive would help the highs a bit, not sure which one would do this though. I've only used a Dimarzio Super Distortion before and it seemed plenty bright to me.

I've been thinking about getting an M6 for my hot rod Strat, but have been unsure (mainly cos it's so damn expensive). From those 2 clips I prefer the M6.
The guitar construction, and scale length will have a big effect on the overall tone. I used to have a Jackson COW 7 string and a LTD SC607B both with EMG 707, they sounded totally different

With the Lundgren, the guitar itself will be more of a factor. With the EMG, not so much. A brighter passive would help the highs a bit, not sure which one would do this though. I've only used a Dimarzio Super Distortion before and it seemed plenty bright to me.

Thank you for your quick reply. Dimarzio has the D Activator pickups, I've heard people say good things about them, they're not so expensive..

Maybe I have to try some active pickups. I'm hoping to find a passive that will do the same but maybe I'm lost there. Seems like active pickups take less character from the actual guitar than the passives then..

I've been thinking about getting an M6 for my hot rod Strat, but have been unsure (mainly cos it's so damn expensive). From those 2 clips I prefer the M6.
The guitar construction, and scale length will have a big effect on the overall tone. I used to have a Jackson COW 7 string and a LTD SC607B both with EMG 707, they sounded totally different

Yes, they are expensive. I've loved them for many years now but I recently changed my guitar amps and suddenly I heard how the guitars sounded like :)

These two guitars I'm playing in the clip are totally different because one of them is made for being tuned in B and the other in E. The Baritone has a much longer scale, longer than a 7-string.

I wish there was an easy and fast way to switch between actives and passives on the guitars to make a quick A/B test.

Maybe the scale length had something to do with it? The EMGs sounded mean though...there's a reason why a lot of people love the 81s.