ESP Viper / no LTD worth the money?

hogan666

Mar 7, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
www.liquid-artz.com
Hi...the headline says it all?
I'm about to buy a new guitar, 'cause my old SG got it's third neck braker *hehe*, so she's out.

Since im 19 or so, I felt in love with the design of the viper, but I've never played an original one, just LTDs.

Also got a Framus Camarillo, but the SG neckshaping and length fits a bit more for my short fingers.

So I don't really know if I should 1600 € for a "real" ESP. Don't know if they're really worth the money or if I'll pay a lot for the name.

I play a 5150 with a TS9 in front. Heard that this with emg would be a nice combination.

Cheers

Hmm, did you compare both together?
I think the real deal will feel a bit better, 'cause of the better manufacturing or?!

D'you know any other goood guitars for metal (I know...funny question).
I'm not into Ibanez that much. Don't like their design at all.

Cheers

Look at the specs of an LTD version and a ESP, take the signature Amott V for instance....NO difference at all besides its origin and headstock decal. Id only get a ESP that has no real LTD version thats the same, such as a M-II.

The new V500 (LTD) looks very nice + at about £650ish its a steal compared to Dave Mustaines near £2000 one :\

My LTD is built like fuck, never had any problems.

Go for the LTD and dont look back! :)

They dont sound any different either.

Just checked their stock and IMHO this one looks sexy:

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/inventory/images/1236.jpg

ESP
LTD DELUXE SERIES
VIPER 1000 See Thru Black
New

Set-neck
24 3/4" Scale
Mahogany body w/Flame Maple Top
Rosewood w/Abalone Flags inlay
EMG 81/85(n)
Tone Pros w/ stop tailpiece
Sperzel locking tuners
White w/Abalone binding on neck & headstock
See Thru Black finish
Priced less case
List Price: $1,149.00
Sale Price: $799.00

My LTD has stood the test of time but my ESP sounds noticeably better on clean passages and IMHO the playability is worth the price alone. The fretboard just feels nicer and easier to move around. If you're on a budget there's no shame in an LTD.

The ESP Viper is a little slimmer in body thickness than the LTD 400 or 100 series. It seems a little lighter and maybe more resonant as well. The neck is about the same, but the fretboard's ebony rather than rosewood like the LTD. The ebony feels great compared to the rosewood, IMO, but that could be preference. The ebonyon the ones I've played is like glass, sooooo nice. ESP necks/fretboard and fretwork is great, IMO. LTD's just don't get there. LTD's are nice for the money (I play LTD's), but the nicer neck is what seperates them for me.

I'm inclined to think that ESP's aren't worth twice the price of a nice LTD either, but for some, that neck/fretboard feel is worth the price alone. If I had the extra scratch, I'd go ESP. Playing them is really the only way to know.

You're all right. In a common sense I would by a LTD. But otherwise the psychologial will play a role too or?! Next week, I'll check a camo in a store next to me. Don't know how to describe it, but maybe I'll feel better if I got the real deal between my fingers even if there aren't such noticable differences.

The other guitarist in my band plays a LTD Eclipse, but to it didn't feels that good like my SG. Not my world.

Cheers, Hogan

The ebonyon the ones I've played is like glass, sooooo nice. ESP necks/fretboard and fretwork is great, IMO. LTD's just don't get there. LTD's are nice for the money (I play LTD's), but the nicer neck is what seperates them for me.
Glass! That's exactly fucking right!!