Essential Industrial Metal

Front 242
Killing Joke
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
Godflesh
KMFDM
Nitzer Ebb
Nine Inch Nails (Fuck you if you dont think they need to be here)

You're really struggling with the metal part. Front 242 are EBM (electronic body music), they are dance based. There's no metal there. Thrill Kill Kult is more like goth than anything else, certainly no metal there. NIN? Again, not metal. Rock if anything.

That said, a lot of my picks are in this thread already. Godflesh, Ministry, Strapping Young Lad, The Kovenant - Animatronic, DHG - 666 International...

I would also add Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood although calling that one industrial metal is a bit of a stretch even though it has a lot of industrial and a lot of metal in it. Swans - Filth is an untouchable masterpiece. Raw, nasty, spitting vile hatred. Absolutely brutal and crushing.

I wouldn't agree with Fear Factory. I've always considered them kindergarten metal for meatheads. Such simple riffs. The riffs are the most important part of a metal band and their riffs are awful. I did always like Rhys Fulber's keyboard work. Check out the Front Line Assembly album "Millennium" for more of his keyboard work, but I should mention that the riffs on that album, while played by Devin Townsend, are mostly riffs from classic bands like Pantera and Metallica.

Agreed.

I saw them live a couple of months back, with a couple of new guys on bass and drums that I don't know.

Dino and Burt still have it though... was a great show. Highlight was Martyr - shook the whole place down.

I've seen Fear Factory live three times (never were they the reason I went to the show however) and I thought they were pretty damn boring live every time.

Not necessarily metal but Swans "Children of God" is pretty awesome industrial/post-rock. Some metal bands: Ulver, The Kovenant, The Axis of Perdition, and Mortiis

I always thought "industrial" was like a harder-edged version of electronica. Virtual instruments and the like, whereas bands like Fear Factory emulated that sound with live instruments.

Then again, I don't know a thing about industrial at all.

Industrial has nothing to do with most of these bands mentioned other than Godflesh and P.H.O.B.O.S.

This is industrial, garbage like Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, Ministry, etc. shouldn't have that term attached to them because really they're completely dissimilar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course you would say that, Mort. Industrial evolved many times over the years. The most important influences on the development of industrial are Skinny Puppy, Leæther Strip, Front 242, and so on. Ministry is clearly very important on the development of guitar based music influenced by industrial.

Looking back at Throbbing Gristle isn't really recommended because, while they got the ball rolling, they had very little to do with the direction that the ball rolled.

This is industrial, garbage like Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, Ministry, etc. shouldn't have that term attached to them because really they're completely dissimilar.

He did specify Industrial Metal not just Industrial.

And that's just your opinion, look up the industrial metal wiki page, KMFDM was a founding member of the industrial metal scene, and Ministry, really? I thought it was common knowledge they were industrial metal.

Of course you would say that, Mort. Industrial evolved many times over the years. The most important influences on the development of industrial are Skinny Puppy, Leæther Strip, Front 242, and so on. Ministry is clearly very important on the development of guitar based music influenced by industrial.

Looking back at Throbbing Gristle isn't really recommended because, while they got the ball rolling, they had very little to do with the direction that the ball rolled.

The 'direction it rolled' largely has nothing to do with industrial. The better term for it is coldwave (which is fucking dumb too since coldwave is so completely different based on its original meaning.)

Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, Ministry, etc. is NOT metal - heavy and loud guitars are not the basis for metal.

I wouldn't agree with Fear Factory. I've always considered them kindergarten metal for meatheads. Such simple riffs. The riffs are the most important part of a metal band and their riffs are awful. I did always like Rhys Fulber's keyboard work. Check out the Front Line Assembly album "Millennium" for more of his keyboard work, but I should mention that the riffs on that album, while played by Devin Townsend, are mostly riffs from classic bands like Pantera and Metallica.

But you like Ministrty...

http://www.guitaretab.com/m/ministry/12054.html

3 chords, and one of them is open E. That's the whole song.

Neurotech is a solid newer Industrial Metal artist (sorry Mort but what else do you call this music? cyber metal?)

Last edited by a moderator: