Groove Metal

Hell Patrol

Nov 20, 2010
Down Under
Groove Metal is a genre I'm not entirely familiar with, and it being almost Christmas I can get a few albums within the week. I've heard a few Pantera songs but nothing else in the genre. Any essential releases you people wanna suggest?

Thanks, I actually own half of Bolt Throwers discography, (Realms of Chaos FTW) but I thought they were thrash with death vocals? I'm probably wrong though. Any other suggestions?

Coroner - Grin (easily one of the best thrash->groove transitions in metal, and probably the only one (aside from Meshuggah) with excellent guitar solos)
Helmet - Meantime (an obligatory example for representing hardcore's influence on the groove metal sub-genre)
Invocator - Weave the Apocalypse (more on the thrash side, but filled with orgasmic technical chuggery; imagine a transition album between the first two Meshuggah albums, with the Metallica aesthetic of Contradictions Collapse replaced with a Rinehart-era Dark Angel one)
Meshuggah - everything except their debut (arguably not groove metal, but whatever, still obvious listening)
Prong - Beg to Differ, Prove You Wrong, Cleansing (see Helmet)
Thought Industry - Mods Carve the Pig: Assassins Toads & Gods Flesh (pretty experimental and progressive stuff for the genre, not entirely groove metal with some more melodic alternative or punk rock stuff showing up on occasion, but it's the best album of the genre anyways)

Chimaira's self-titled. This is the album that helped me make the transition between nu metal and the real stuff.

EDIT: Also, Lamb of God's "As the Palaces Burn".

Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: Thoughts on the Bands:

Meshuggah... Wow. I'd only ever heard good things about them so I assumed they were overrated crap without hearing them. I was wrong. So very, very wrong.
Chimaira and*DevilDriver are awesome, not a huge fan of the vocals though, but the riffs are so amazing and heavy.
Coroner aint bad, but the repetition is a bit... Repetitive. Do they have many songs that aren't?
Prong, Invocator and Thought Industry are quite meh, it's not that they're bad, they just don't leap out at me as something I need to hear more of.
Helmet I don't like. I really can't stand their vocals.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Coroner aint bad, but the repetition is a bit... Repetitive. Do they have many songs that aren't?

The longer songs on that album are more varied (and more awesome0 than the shorter ones. Listen to Paralyzed, Mesmerized and Serpent Moves. I suppose that some of Mental Vortex is groovy as well, so check out Divine Step (Conspectu Mortis) too.

Machine Head is awesome, I can't believed I've never heard them until now.

The longer songs on that album are more varied (and more awesome0 than the shorter ones. Listen to Paralyzed, Mesmerized and Serpent Moves. I suppose that some of Mental Vortex is groovy as well, so check out Divine Step (Conspectu Mortis) too.

To YouTube!

Bolt Thrower is death metal, you tards

This just in: repetition is repetitive

Really more thrashy than groove, but Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican is pretty good

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4hUEmYoMDE&feature=related[/ame]
We're a death groove! tell me what you think!

This just in: repetition is repetitive

Really more thrashy than groove, but Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican is pretty good

Well there you go.

Yes.

Pretty good.

We're a death groove! tell me what you think!

Riff needs work, the song was to vocal heavy and a bit longer than it needed to be. Other than those it wasn't too bad.

You sir, are a bastion of good taste.

This.

The Law is actually kinda bad while SITV is fucking AWESOME. It's kinda scary, in some reviews Exhorder said how they don't like the sound on SITV and it was butchered and they loved the production on The Law and wish they could've had SITV sound they way they wanted (similar to The Law). I'm glad that it got "butchered" because it would've been a huge downside if it had that production. All the really good groove bands I've found have been mentioned here (except the thrash/groove band Criminal, they're actually really fucking good but very groovy) and of course the obvious one is Pantera. With just their discography you have enough groove metal to listen to for agesss.

Yeah Criminal can be hit or miss but the album Cancer by them is fucking awesome all the way through. Also Epidemic from San Francisco are really good but pretty thrashy (at least the earlier stuff is, the later you get the more groove they get)