Funeral Doom

Chimaera

Oct 28, 2009
Scotland
I'd really like to get into this genre. Most of the songs I've heard have been incredible. It seems like there are a lot of great bands out there and I'm not sure which albums I should pick up. I'll probably get a copy of Thergothon's Stream From the Heavens, as it's meant to be the most important album in the genre.

Bands I've heard and enjoyed:
Thergothon
Doom: VS
Funeral(Norway)
Tyranny
Morgion
Reclusiam (does anyone know where I can find his demo)
Colloseum
Skepticism

If you could recommend me other good bands in the genre and suggest the best albums from the bands I've listed, that would be great.

Besides Skepticism, Thergothon, and Funeral, my other favorites would have to be

Mournful Congregation (try An Epic Dream of Desire)
Esoteric (try The Maniacal Vale)
Worship (try Last Tape Before Doomsday)
Stabat Mater (try the s/t)

Thanks man. They all sound great. I've noticed that I haven't really found a bad band in this genre yet.

Oh, I also like diSEMBOWELMENT. Forgot to mention that.

Ahab is perhaps the most polished band in this genre. Highly recommend them. The Call Of The Wretched Sea is one of my favorite albums of all time in any genre.

Aaabsynthum from Romania are pretty good, and for the uber-depressive funeral doom Abyssmal Sorrow is great. Nortt also falls in this category and is quite good.

Not sure how much you've explored Funeral, but their album Tragedies is fantastic. It's a bit different from other funeral doom, in that it uses an absolutely beautiful female voice. Anyways, happy listening. It's good to see other people interested in this genre.

Hierophant

Better than Catacombs imo (same guy)

I'll probably get a copy of Thergothon's Stream From the Heavens, as it's meant to be the most important album in the genre.
Have you heard their demo? Check it out if you haven't, Stream From The Heavens is excellent but the demo just tops it imo, and for me is probably the most essential/important funeral doom release ever

Last edited by a moderator:
Catacombs - In the Depths of R'lyeh
Colosseum - Chapter I: Delirium
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale OR Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum
Longing For Dawn - A Treacherous Ascension
Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation and the June Frost
Morgion - Solinari
Shape of Despair - Shades of...
Stabat Mater - s/t
Tyranny - Tides of Awakening

Oh shit...and Ahab...can't forget them - they are one of the best

Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency (wierrrd, tripped out lysergic death/funeral doom, their best record imo)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvtCtiU2EWo&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DJ-8FCp-9E&feature=related[/ame]

Unholy - From the Shadows (bizarre, dismal sounding doom from Finland)

I know parts of these lean more towards death/doom in places but still worth checking out

Last edited by a moderator: