Funeral Doom

Krow

Garbage Connoisseur
Mar 4, 2008
Roadkill, WV
I finally had a funeral doom album click with me.

Tyranny - Tides of Awakening

Slow and evil sounding throughout with deep, evil growls from hell. I dont know what grabbed me with this album but it did... and hard.

I'd like for a few recommendation for other bands of this genre (please no big lists)

I listened to a Skepticism album and didnt really like it (Lead and Aether, and I think its production got me) and both Ahab albums and they really dont do much for me either, if that helps.

Has some post-rock/metal or psych or w/e you wanna call it influences, and my favorite of the genre: Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale

Nice new album if you like more dissonant stuff: Stabat Mater - s/t (also I intend to look into Urna - "Iter Ad Lucem", people on another forum are going crazy over it..)

For straight funeral doom my favorites right now: Mournful Congregation - "Monad of Creation" or "The June Frost"

If you haven't checked it out yet you MUST try Thergothon - Stream From the Heavens. Very slow and heavy (duh :p) with no compromises or glimpses of light and not as polished as Skepticism. It is the best album in the genre easily.

If you haven't checked it out yet you MUST try Thergothon - Stream From the Heavens. Very slow and heavy (duh :p) with no compromises or glimpses of light and not as polished as Skepticism. It is the best album in the genre easily.

Yea I forgot about this, I believe I got it from your rec too. Not my favorite but its certainly good and deserves points for its massive influence on the genre. You should get it because not doing so is like being a thrash metal fan with no Slayer or something.

Monolithe (any release, although their EP, Interlude Premier, can be downloaded legally and for free from here)
Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
Pantheist - O Solitude

Was actually listening to Mournful Congregation - the June Frost earlier today. Seemed pretty okay. I'll get through this stuff slowly. Will definitely check that album out Vilden, I've never had you recommend me anything that didnt kick ass..

Shape of Despair are an amazing band, very unique and while being funeral doom are very much different than say Thergothon or Skepticism in terms of atmosphere and vibe. Illusion's Play for example is like soundscapes meets doom where say Skepticism sounds like a Funeral and is more traditional and not modern sounding. Two bands that sound nothing alike at all and play the same style of music.

Evoken -embrace the emptiness, not full on Funeral Doom and still very much Death/Doom. their best
Esoteric -metamorphogenesis

Thergothon is pretty much awesome, so are Catacombs. Right now I'm listening to Worship - Dooom and it seems pretty good too.

I like Catacombs. I admit that In the Depths of R'lyeh doesn't have very much in the way of dynamics (every track sounds basically the same as the one before it); but I love the atmosphere. I imagine that's exactly how it would feel to be in R'lyeh.

Ea - Ea Taesse,
Profetus - Coronation Of The Black Sun,
Nortt - Gudsforladt (black/funeral doom),
Bosque - dead nature,