Groove-oriented death metal

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
There seems to be a lot of negative criticism towards this genre, probally because the biggest band in the genre is Six Feet Under. The only other groove-oriented DM band I've heard is Torture Killer, who I did not like. I'll admit, alot of SFU's riffs are pretty catchy. What are some groovey DM bands that you enjoy?

*I edited this so that it's not another gay recommendation thread.

id consider bands like morbid angel to have a pretty big groove to em. i can tell im gonna catch shit for that one.

i notice mostly grind bands have a groove feel like napalm death or dying fetus.
~gR~

You probably heard these bands already since they're not too obscure but:

Bolt Thrower
Cephalic Carnage
Dying Fetus
Soilent Green (partly death metal)

genocide roach said:
id consider bands like morbid angel to have a pretty big groove to em. i can tell im gonna catch shit for that one.

i notice mostly grind bands have a groove feel like napalm death or dying fetus.
~gR~
Later Morbid Angel around Gateways To Annihilation and Heretic they slowed it down with more groove and atmosphere but not really for their earlier work.

ok, cephalic carnage is NOT groove DM. its intentionally abstract and void of groove. unless you wanna start counting their doom stuff.

id agree with the rest of the bands though
~gR~

No one but me will recommend Vomit Remnants. They're so awesome it's painful.

Also check out Pyaemia, Disavowed, Prostitute Disfigurement, Kronos, Human Mincer, Devourment, Sepsism, and Sotajumala.

The latest Grave album is fucking killer old school "groove oriented" Death Metal. Probably a popular choice here, but Back From The Grave is a great album, kicks SFU right in the nuts.

MURAI said:
You probably heard these bands already since they're not too obscure but:

Bolt Thrower
Cephalic Carnage
Dying Fetus
Soilent Green (partly death metal)
I've never really been able to get into Soilent Green. I've got a couple of their cd's but they just haven't sunk it. The other 3 I quite like though. I just recently picked up Cephalic Carnage's Lucid Interval and think it's a pretty good album.