Established bands going from tube to Solid State???

Carrier Flux

Jun 14, 2005
I've noticed a couple of well known bands who's guitar tones have taken major steps in what *I* consider the wrong direction recently, and it confuses me.

Being that I just discovered the value of tube gear a few years back (I played a solid state rig up until about 3 years ago) I find it astonishingly weird that some well known bands are going the other direction.

The two examples that come to mind are Fear Factory and Bolt Thrower. F.F. went from a good tube [marshall I believe?] sound to the Pod. Not to say that the pod is worthless, but to my ears the last couple of FF albums have just sounded harsh and thin, and especially live, one guitar of Pod noise sounded horrible.

Another example is Bolt Thrower. Although I can't confirm that they're using S.S. gear now [Boss GX700, Marshall 9040 200w power amp-I did a little research on these but couldn't figure out if they were tube or SS...sorry], their tone for the last couple of albums has been quite thin compared to The IVth Crusade and ...For Victory which had crushing, thick tone. Although the newest B.T. album sounds kind of S.S.-ish but still decent, the two before it sounded extremely weak to me.

I don't mean to comment on the musical merit of these groups, nor do I intend to impose my concept of "good tone" on the rest of the world; but it simply seems odd to me that there are bands who appear to be going to S.S. gear and getting weaker recordings as a result.

Genius Gone Insane said:
Definitely using Krank as of last weekend....Are you sure they were using POD on the last 2 records?
no I'm not sure. although Archetype sounded distinctly POD-like to me, and on that tour they were definitely using a POD.

as much as I dislike Krank, I'll take Krank over POD anyday, so that's good to hear.

Carrier Flux said:
no I'm not sure. although Archetype sounded distinctly POD-like to me, and on that tour they were definitely using a POD.

as much as I dislike Krank, I'll take Krank over POD anyday, so that's good to hear.

I was under the impression that Archetype was recorded with Chris' rack, which was based a round a Marshall JMP-1. When I had my JMP-1 I had no problem getting the tone you hear on the album.

Carrier Flux said:
I've noticed a couple of well known bands who's guitar tones have taken major steps in what *I* consider the wrong direction recently, and it confuses me.

Being that I just discovered the value of tube gear a few years back (I played a solid state rig up until about 3 years ago) I find it astonishingly weird that some well known bands are going the other direction.

The two examples that come to mind are Fear Factory and Bolt Thrower. F.F. went from a good tube [marshall I believe?] sound to the Pod. Not to say that the pod is worthless, but to my ears the last couple of FF albums have just sounded harsh and thin, and especially live, one guitar of Pod noise sounded horrible.

Another example is Bolt Thrower. Although I can't confirm that they're using S.S. gear now [Boss GX700, Marshall 9040 200w power amp-I did a little research on these but couldn't figure out if they were tube or SS...sorry], their tone for the last couple of albums has been quite thin compared to The IVth Crusade and ...For Victory which had crushing, thick tone. Although the newest B.T. album sounds kind of S.S.-ish but still decent, the two before it sounded extremely weak to me.

I don't mean to comment on the musical merit of these groups, nor do I intend to impose my concept of "good tone" on the rest of the world; but it simply seems odd to me that there are bands who appear to be going to S.S. gear and getting weaker recordings as a result.

Dino started using a POD Pro - Mesa 2:90 rig (into a Mesa 2x10 the last time I saw him live) after his modded JCM800 was stolen, Chris used a JMP-1 based rig until gettting his Krankenstein afaik.

The Boss GX-700 is a digital pre-amp/fx unit and the 9040 is a stereo MOSFET (SS) power-amp, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the sound B .T get with that rig as my GX-700->Marshall 9005 tube power-amp rig doesn't sound as crushing!!

Razorjack said:
I was under the impression that Archetype was recorded with Chris' rack, which was based a round a Marshall JMP-1. When I had my JMP-1 I had no problem getting the tone you hear on the album.

Yep...when he took over guitar duties, he had no guitar gear. So, Steven Carpenter from the Deftones bought him two new, full Marshall JMP-1 & Marshall EL34 100/100 rack set-ups. That was what was used on the albums, and he's now recently switched over to Krank.