ethical question

goatschool

Sep 12, 2002
www.youtube.com
a very close friend dies.

his parents, or one of them, is a born again xian. both are highly conservative. i know neither, at all. just met them.

they request music he's made, which they do not know of, or were never informed of. they are very curious.

i provide. 3 records containing satanic/vaginal imagery, lyrics involving "anal prolapse", and bands with names like exploding corpse action, dead baby, and hail mary...

was this a shitty thing to do?

an acquaintance seems to be annoyed that i did so. i was just trying to give them what they wanted. maybe to know their son better? acquaintance thought they might think their son as "evil".

i don't usually subject myself to messageboard scrutiny, at least on these levels. but you people are metal and such.

I would say it would have been nice to give them a heads-up as to the content of the music, so they could make the decision as to whether or not they wanted to be exposed to it. But on the whole, no, it was not a shitty thing to do.

I would say if 95% of the music he made was sweet, happy pop music and you picked the 3 records you did just to piss them off, then it was shitty, because you're not providing them with an accurate picture of their kid. But if all he did was ANAL PROLAPSE, then any sins you might have committed were essentially venal...as Sam said, errors in procedure rather than essence.

the heavier music (which they were given a notification of -- "this, uh, is his heavier music, just so you know") accounted for 25% of his overall output, but we all considered it important. the rest of his stuff was demented, happy pop music. none of it was to piss them off, really.

this kid was 30...

yeah, error in procedure. sounds about right.

thanks Alex. this happened in early August, and i am still a little horrified.

we visited his cemetary at 12:00am or so last night. he failed to rise from the grave. sucks.

didn't think of doing this before, but if anyone is interested, you can d/l some of his mp3s (non-metal stuff, but brilliant, i think, regardless) here

Josh - yes... i'm assuming his "other" friends/bandmates provided that stuff. i was just the evil metal label guy who delivered the badness...