Ethnography on Metal Listeners! Short and interesting!

You could make a case that going mainstream has not actually been good for the art of the bands. You can say this also about a lot of art! You can't make a conclusive statement about it, true, but it's interesting to think of.

It's definitely something you could philosophize about all day long, but I believe that people with the real raw talent should be rewarded for their hard work in currency ;) For example, I think in a perfect world Michael Romeo would be more wealthy than The Jonas Brothers.

Don't mistake something as crude and raw as mere force for "power" or "strength." The crowd relies on force because it is powerless over its own existence (powerless by choice - but that's another story). They fear the intelligent outsider, not because he can compel them by force, but because he has the power to hold up a mirror and remind them that they are weak and death is real.

Not a mistake, I wasn't talking about physical strenght. My point was based on intelligence and strenght of character, which is what people tend to watch when they feel ''threatened'' by others.

It separates the artists who are well-grounded and disciplined from the ones who have been seduced by the trappings of being an artist, but it hardly invalidates the work that comes before.

Nothing new to the table, more fancy wool dressed as language.

If Deathspell Omega ever creates art, it will be for the first time.

Wheter or not you believe they create art is beside the point and I will not dwell in this type of moronic discussion.

When have the masses ever preferred reminders of their own impotence to "fun"?

Maybe it was my fault that you misinterpreted my post (I was hungover). My idea was that the masses' preference over simple-minded music reflects society's tendency to prefer things that are shallow, with no depth whatsoever. In other words, music preference reflects a weak society and/or sheep mentality in our world.

You know what is obnoxious though? Kids making ludicrous comparisons between Dante and fucking Deathspell Omega. Pantera folks, it's like Shakespeare.

Have you ever written two posts in a row without turning into a complete faggot? Nowhere in my post I made a comparison between the two, such comparison would be imposible. Such a simple point and a child like you can't even begin to grasp it? give me a break. That was a loose quote that I got off the top of my head (whoever said, is like I said, beside the point). Creating art can be a painful process, therefore, very few people have the tenacity to go through the narrow scope called art.

[V5, don't intervene! Let these "philosophers" continue.

Do you really have anything worth saying to the subject? :Smug:

The failure is mostly one of will, which is why you end up with lots of smart people supporting moronic things like "equality" and Rush.

Agreed. This is where strenght of character comes into play.

So, you're only a "real artist" if you never make a mistake? Do you ever stop to think about even the most basic implications of your own statements?]

Yes, as a matter of fact I sometimes have the tendency of over-analyzing shit too much. How you came off completely disinterested me in the subject, turning me careless in the end.

As for your question, no. Actually, mistakes is what forges an artist (I'd like to know where you got this from, though). Having the ability to fuck up, but also to suck it all up and move on... learning something new in the process. After all, if you don't learn you end up being a complete idiot.

But when has this not been true? The masses never bought into high art in appreciable numbers. It's not a phenomenon of modernity, as some seem to so fondly imagine. The only thing that's really different now is that there's no effective cultural architecture out there for elevating the real art above the crap, but that's been happening for a hundred years and more.

Always... but like you said, there is no formal structure studying an validating art (this is an old argument, isn't it?). In this day and age we only have a bunch of bigots calling themselves artists.

Results are edited into the original post now! Thank you all. I need some sleep, haha. :)

Survey begins here:

- True/false section
1. Are you over the age of 25?
Your answer: I'm 19.
2. When you first heard metal music did you like it right away?
Your answer: Yes.
3. Would you want metal music to go mainstream?
Your answer: No.

- Multiple choice section
1. What do you like most about metal music?
A. Lyrics
B. Themes/feelings/emotions
C. The energy/speed of it
D. It provides an escape from life
E. It's just something different
Your answer: B
2. What theme/feeling/emotion do you like most in metal music?
A. Rebellion
B. Loneliness
C. Fear
D. Anger
E. Other (please type):
Your answer: Feeling of power and independence.
3. What is your level of education?
A. High school and under
B. Some college
C. Bachelor's degree
D. Master's degree
E. Doctorate degree
Your answer: B

- Free answer section
1. List your 3 most favorite kinds of music other than metal.
Your answer: Jazz, Blues, RnB
2. List 3 of your hobbies other than music.
Your answer: Basketball, Computer Games, Thriller/Horror Books
3. How does metal music influence other parts of your life?
Your answer: I definitly feel more self-confident, metal definitly keeps me away from sad or depressive moods. My attitude is also "uncommon" as my friends say.