european tour 2008!

hehehehe wackeldackeldame .. we wondered the same last nite in Hamburg...

I´ll post some pics later... great great show... :headbang: same set list... and the hilarious comments from Mr. Åkerfeldt were just great !

Amazing show in Göteborg. Same setlist. Cynic was also good.

Mikael Stanne from Dark Tranquility was there and i was headbanging with him, lol.

Agreed about the venue. The Lotus Eater was probably my highlight of the evening. It sounded really great. And I didn't expect Mikael to do the humming-part in the intro. T'was good. All in all though, this goes down as probably the least memorable Opeth show to me, mainly due to an overcrowded, shitty venue and an uninspired setlist.

Great show!
I thought the venue was quite ok. Soundwise it was really good, and that's the most important. I wish the stage was higher though, it was difficult to see anything but Mikes head. Lol. Axe was almost invisible.
Another strange thing was that they (all bands) started about 30 minutes too early.

I had no issues with the venue (though yeah, the stage could have been higher), but more with the asinine shouting and general asshattery. Shouting "Play faster! Play Harder" when Cynic were doing some soft segments and so on. Oh, and Opeth is more than just Mikael, so chanting "Mikael Åkerfeldt" instead of Opeth is kind of a slap in the face to the rest of the band.

And again with the song requests, do people actually think they'll just throw out their set-list and play Advent because you want them to? Especially if you've been shouting for it the entire fucking show. Not to mention the guy who wanted Eaten. "You're at the wrong concert, pal... I didn't even sing Eaten! on the record."

Also, discussing the set list... in the actual crowd just before the show, should be punishable by death.

So, annoying crowd, great show. Playlist could have been better (Deliverance and Grand Conjuration could have been traded for something else, Burden and Serenity Painted Death for instance, but I guess they've played those to death). But the performances were awesome.

Cynic were magical, I hope they come back, I'd love to hear a proper full-sized set list. Sean Reinert was godly.

Highlights: Adam's Murmur, Integral Birth, Lotus Eater, Godhead's Lament, Hope Leaves (Fredrik is amazing), Demon of the Fall and The Drapery Falls

Pelle Hå;7882797 said:
Another strange thing was that they (all bands) started about 30 minutes too early.

Curfew at 23 sharp :( That's why they were on so early.

But I really don't see how you NOT can hate BrewHouse compared to Trädgårn for example. The off center placement of the stage ruins the whole thing. They could/should have removed the pillar in the middle when they built the arena, now it's too expensive to remove it. Also the height of the stage... it was even worse earlier, before they raised it back in august, but I'm 1.76 and still couldn't see shit. And don't get me started on the placement of the lights and the chances of being able to take good photos there.

SHIT PLACE!

Yeah, I do feel that Trädgårn would have been an infinitely better venue. I hope they book it next time they hit Gothenburg. But being tall, and having a fairly decent spot, the pillars weren't an issue. I didn't get to see much of Axe but had a good view of Fred and Mike most of the time.

Do feel really bad for the couple of really short guys/girls who ended up in front. Bad move :p

Twas a good gig at the Brew House, wish I knew Swedish so i could have understood anything he said, although I did get the Love...breasts bit, and that's about it. Some of the people in the crowd were dickheads as you get at shows, but the sound was good. Last show I go to without ear plugs!
And not ever hearing any Cynic before that night, I was impressed by them, will check them out.

Anyone got any good pics of the show? There were plenty of people taking pics

Cynic are indeed awesome. I got a Traced in Air tee from the merch-stand. There's not a lot to check out though. Just Focus and Traced in Air.

I really wish they would have played Textures, maybe next time.

I pulled back, outside the crowd, so i didnt hear much shouting and even got completely different impression, i thought crowd was quite focused and well mannered. Wrong impression probably;) But really, right beside me was a girl in her 30s who was listening with her eyes closed and obviously understood what she was listening...

It was hard to get a good sight even for tall people, but i liked what i was hearing. The sound was great imo, i could hear everything.

Hmm... Setlist might have been "uninspired", but performances were far from that, imo. They played great. Unfortunately i cant change opinion - it was two songs too short. I enjoyed myself, all the time i felt i was going through wonderful and memorable and important experience, its just that it could have been a bit longer... However, my key point is, not just from the last night´s gig - Opeth have reached an apex when it comes to performing live. Its incredible how good the band sounds!

Please, let us know about Stockholm setlist, i wonder if theyll change it.

Curfew at 23 sharp :( That's why they were on so early.

But I really don't see how you NOT can hate BrewHouse compared to Trädgårn for example. The off center placement of the stage ruins the whole thing. They could/should have removed the pillar in the middle when they built the arena, now it's too expensive to remove it. Also the height of the stage... it was even worse earlier, before they raised it back in august, but I'm 1.76 and still couldn't see shit. And don't get me started on the placement of the lights and the chances of being able to take good photos there.

SHIT PLACE!

Well... I consume music with my ears first and foremost, so good sound is more important than anything else. And I enjoyed the evening.
I understand that it's a bad place for a photographer, personally I don't care about lights and pillars. Trädgårn is better by most points of view, yes.
Not a fan of Sticky Fingers though. And larger arenas like Lisbergs Hallen or, even worse, Scandinavium comes with such bad sound that it can almoist ruin a concert fore me. I hate that high pitch white noise that bounces between the walls.