Evergrey - guitarist, bassist and drummer quit

lordcthulhu

You Are Bewitched!
Sep 24, 2006
Sydney, Australia
www.last.fm
For all the EG fans on this board (I know there's quite a few) ...

Few days old news, but just realised it this morning: Henrik (guitar), Jari (bass) and Jonas (drums) have all quit Evergrey. Henrik and Jonas are going to be concentrating fulltime on DeathDestruction, which used to be a tiny deathmetal sideproject, but now seems to be a

Not too fussed about Jari and Jonas leaving, the former was waaaaaay better in Stratovarius anyway and Jonas was very good but definitely not to the level of the first drummer (Patrick Carlsson).

Henrik quitting is a big shock though, he helped refine Evergrey's sound immensely from In Search of Truth to The Inner Circle. For the last two studio albums, I feel his contribution somewhat was lacking, as he and Tom were looking to remove most "prog" elements from their sound.

Here's hoping their replacements will push their sound back to what it was in 2003 on Recreation Day - a finely balanced blend of power, prog, and tasteful keyboard lines!!! Plus pleeease no more emo-like lyrics about bleeding, drowning, etc like on the last two albums!

Read the news and see the video at:
http://evergrey.net/

http://evergrey.net/

We ALSO have a European Tour coming up – starting NEXT SUNDAY in Hamburg. And to be able to do that tour we must have new members, and we do! So please be open-minded and welcome:

Marcus Jidell (Royal Hunt) on Guitars
Johan Niemann (ex-Therion, Mind’s Eye) on Bass
Hannes Van Dahl on Drums

But what I think sucks most is this statement:

BUT that is not the end of it. Jari ALSO decided to leave the band, and the reason was that he would rather play with a band called “Killing machine” as they could offer him a salary we couldn’t and that was the sole reason of his decision. We were REALLY sad to see Jari leave as he is a tremendous bass-player and person.

Interesting, very interesting. Actually can't say there has been any Evergrey album I haven't liked. I guess I'll have to wait and see how this changes any of the song writing.

As a hardcore Evergrey fan I am not surprised by this, as they always have a new lineup every albums since their first album, but sad none the less. Since Tom has been the primary songwriter of the band, and that half of the album has been written, I don;t expect the sound to change at all, it will be just another new Evergrey album. As much as I loved Torn, I am extremely eager to hear the new album to hear the direction they went after Torn, since I have been more curious about how this album was going to sound the first time I heard Torn all the way through, with it being such a drastically different sounding album for them.

For the past several years it has seemed like Evergrey could have been called "Evergrey - feat. Tom S. Englund" as it almost seems like his solo project and less of a band effort. I'm really not surprised by this one bit. Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy Evergrey music - even the more recent stuff, but I've always thought it was really Tom's band and that the other guys seemed to be support cast members.

I think this DeathDestruction thing is gonna tank. Jimmie Strimmell is quite an irritating melodeath vocalist, and I was glad to see him gone from Nightrage. And from what I've heard on their myspace, Jonas is a far less interesting drummer in melodeath than he is even in Evergrey!

On the bright side, Johann Niemann is a kickass bass player, some of his basslines in Secrets of the Runes and Lemuria are killer. I wish Tom had recruited his brother into the band (Kristian) though!!! Anyway, that the current replacement is from a great prog-band is a promising sign at least. :headbang:

I'd be upset if that line-up were currently still putting out quality music, but that hasn't been the case for the last two records.

+1. Evergrey was a great band, but clearly it hasn't been working out lately so it's probably for the best that they made this decision.

And hell I enjoy death destruction more than Evergrey at the moment so this is all fine by me! :kickass:

Yeah the last 2 albuns suck really hard but this band has been always Tom S. Englund band. So I dont think it will make much difference in writing process. The best formation that they had was in In Search of Truth album, with a killer keybordist and a awesome drummer.

But I have been losing the interest in the band because of the recent shitty music.